Why does eviltrout have a garbage man badge?

OK, I am going to bite. Why does @eviltrout have a garbage man badge?

And why does the badge only display on his user card, and not on his user profile page? Or on the badges page?

I categorized as a bug since when you click on the badge, it goes to https://meta.discourse.org/badges/120/garbage-man which is an empty page - probably not as intended.

I am interested however in custom badges like this - would be interesting to display for example organizational affiliation with details synced from wordpress via SSO.

9 Likes

When we added the ability to choose a badge to show on your card I wanted to test it out for myself, so I created the badge and assigned it to my user card. The reason there’s no public badge pages for it is because I disabled it and didn’t check off the public pages for it. It might be a bug that it still shows up on my card, but I kind of like it like this :smile:

Now, the more interesting question: why a garbage bag?

@codinghorror remarked on our team visit to Toronto that I would say “Garbage” a lot. Like, “let’s eat at this pizza place because that other one is garbage!”

I’ve been told since that it’s a Torontonian (Canadian?) thing to say it so that probably explains why he thought it was so unusual. Anyway, since then we’ve run with it; many people on the team like to point out how “Garbage” something is. We even added an emoticon for it to our Slack chat channel.

18 Likes

Ah, and here I was thinking it was for you doing an outstanding job at cleaning up code.

Illusion shattered.

6 Likes

Another question in a near-attempt to hijack the topic: Is there a design reason badge images like this garbage bag are so much larger than badge icons when displayed on the user card? See also:

@eviltrout, so what is the “Best Fish” badge???

I can affirm that. Not just for Torontonians but als Buffalonians and those in the surrounding areas.

I like to explain it how George Carlin differentiated between ‘stuff’ and ‘shit’. “Your stuff is shit and my shit is stuff.”

2 Likes

:+1: :heartpulse:

5 Likes

We have visual! :laughing:

Also testing, that I’d long forgotten about :smile:

The point is to really show it off. You’re proud of that badge!

Yeah, well, those of us with the Tester badge are proud too, even with our tiny icon! :stuck_out_tongue:

And users on my site are super proud of their badges!

6 Likes