Why enable wordpress post comments?

That might help, but actually, looking closer, I’ve got a bigger problem. I have no way of preventing Wordpress comments, even while the plugin is in use.

Here’s what I want:

1. I don’t want any comments except for on Discourse.
  2. I don’t want Discourse comments on every post.
  3. I want sensible default settings to avoid mistakes and reduce work for authors/editors on WP.

The problem I have is that if I make comments disabled on my site by default, every post that we want comments on we have to manually intervene and turn comments on, even if I set the WP-Discourse settings to default to create a new topic on Discourse. Of course, if I go the other direction, the same problem occurs, but worse. Changing the Discourse setting to not create a topic over on Discourse seems like it would take care of turning off commenting on a post, but it doesn’t. Instead, I end up with a WP comment form and WP comments!

So to sum up, I think that it’s silly that I have to check two settings in every single post, and make sure they are set to the same thing to get sensible behavior. Both need to be on, or both need to be off. Why not just have a single setting? And even more problematic for me is that if the settings are not kept in sync (both on, or both off), there can be behavior that I really don’t want (WP comments), and I have no way to prevent it with this plugin.

Edited to add:
Even more disconcerting is the fact that turning Wordpress comments off on a post completely makes everything from WP-Discourse disappear, even when I have the “Link to Comments Without Displaying Them” setting enabled (which I’ve been discussing with you over here, in case others are interested.)