Why not move SMTP settings from app.yml to website admin settings?

It’s very confuse that SMTP settings are in app.yml. As you know, Every change in app.yml require a server stop. I’m not saying “rebuild”, I just talking about stop and start again, even that will cause a short time webiste shutdown. What I want to ask is, why? Why do that? Totally a confuse thing to let the SMTP setting in app.yml.

3 Likes

Official reasoning may be much more sensible that mine but what I think is that SMTP is kept in the yml file because email is critical to discourse. You can not enter discourse as an admin without a valid email verification. Letting anyone register without any type of email verification is a risk in itself.

Also, people generally don’t change their SMTP settings very often once they have been set. I am an admin to sites running for over 8 years with no change to SMTP settings.

6 Likes

If you absolutely must avoid the short down time, you can edit the config in place. For example, like this:

cd /var/discourse
./launcher enter app
apt-get install nano
nano config/discourse.conf

You would still need to edit app.yml as well, otherwise the changes will be reverted later.

4 Likes

You still need to

sv restart unicorn

To apply the changes. It might be a bit faster than restarting the container.

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Changing SMTP password