Wouldn't "Send Message" be clearer than "Message"?

To be fair, these aren’t buttons that directly trigger the action of sending the message itself. They serve as input placeholders and links to the Message feature, where the general label “Message” works perfectly fine.

Gmail, Facebook, ChatGPT, LinkedIn, Twitter all denote the actual button with “Send …”

PR here—

7 Likes

Technically, the predominant ui design is only a symbol with no text. Surely adding more text is just further deviating from the norm???

Screenshot_20240308_173253_WhatsApp
Screenshot_20240308_173313_Discord
Screenshot_20240308_173346_Instagram
Screenshot_20240308_173420_eBay

PS. I’m mostly joking but if the standard is just “do what other sites do”, then I think no text is the way :slight_smile: how’s that for bikeshedding

5 Likes

Absolutely, that’s accurate for websites opting for a chat-like layout with an inline input, rather than the traditional email format. Regardless, the action is consistently referred to as “send.” If we’re just looking at mail apps—

Gmail

Yahoo

Hotmail

3 Likes

This is missing an option?:

“Send Message” on the Composer and “Message” on the Card.

1 Like

It is doubly confusing as the message symbol normally indicates going to a message/inbox. Whereas symbol for sending tends to use a stylized arrow.

I’d say, change the button to Send with a ‘mail arrow’ icon.

Also this:

Looks like you’ve received a new message and need to click on the button to view. If you want to write a new one, then better to have a ‘pen’ icon and ‘Compose’ language.

3 Likes
  1. That poll: how inflexible that there is no way to add a write-in vote (for “Abstain: It’s all over my head”.)
  2. Regarding that admins can change the defaults: they only reason I post to this meta.* is to change worldwide defaults. I’ve never admined a bulletin board anyway.
  3. Some users posted pictures of input areas, some of buttons. Anyway this is all getting over my head but that GitHub commit is the right direction. Thanks everybody!

Hello :wave:

I’ve only use :arrow_down_small:

Create
(for new topic)

(for new reply)

Save
(for save edited post)

Send
(for send pm)

on my site.

4 Likes

What’s the name of the string to customise to change from “Message” to “Send Message” in the composer?

1 Like

I believe it’s js.composer.create_pm. Though it should now be ‘send message’ as default as Carson’s PR is now merged: :partying_face:

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 47 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.