You say it's your birthday?

spec
rfc

(Jeff Atwood) #1

One feature that might be fun as a plugin (can’t see this as core) – when it is your birthday, show a cake Emoji next to your name.

Reddit does something like this “cakeday” and it’s fun. But we could use two possible dates:

1. the day you joined that Discourse (default)

2. your actual birthday, as entered in a custom birthday field in user profile, since we don’t – and have no plans to – have this field by default

Anyway I think this is a fun feature and would make an excellent plugin.

Will Discourse apply for Google Summer of Code 2015?
Cakeday! Celebrating birthdays and anniversaries
(NomNuggetNom ) #2

How could a plugin grab this info? This would be so neat :smiley:

(Kane York) #3

The created_at column of the user will contain their join date.

(Dylan) #4

Definitely seems like a cool idea.

(cpradio) #5

Just remember that wont work well for sites based on imported data.

(Erick Guan) #6

Unless the imported data include the join date.

(Mittineague) #7

Our forum anyway, the join date for the imported accounts is the day they were imported.

I imagine it could be worked out how to do it, but I’m not so sure this would be considered enough of a priority to do the work involved while there are still so many other things that need to be done first.

Though if a “date == after ____”, or better, an “except where date == ____” thing was in place it would help.

(Richard Hulse) #8

You would need to import and then go back and change created_at. Or change created_at as part of the import. This might be considered poor practice, but I’ve done it myself importing legacy data into a new CMS.

(Dean Taylor) #9

An option to include both types of cake day would be nice - “real” and “join date”.

(se oli tonnin seteli) #10

Some forums have “legendary” topics that could possibly be celebrated as well… :smile:

(Régis Hanol) #11

What’s a “legendary” topic?

(se oli tonnin seteli) #12

It could be a topic about an ongoing project that has not exactly gone as expected and exactly for that reason has been active since it’s inception and has become a forum in-joke or something like that.

(Molly) #13

I would love to have this! It would be hard to do join date for us too, so the birthday would be a great starting point.

(NomNuggetNom ) #14

If anyone can point me to where the rendering occurs, I’d love to attempt this.

(Filip) #15

That’s funny because, the day i joined my favourite forum, http://forum.minecraftpvp.com , was also my birthday c:

(Manny Hernandez) #16

This would be lovely to see implemented! :smile:

(Gerhard Schlager) #17

Well, there’s a date_of_birth column in the users table. :wink:
It’s just not possible to set / change it in the user profile at the moment.
The SMF2 importer is already setting this field during the import and I’m going to add it to the phpBB3 importer.

That would be cool in a section with the forum statistics :ok_hand:

(Alan Tan) #22

@codinghorror Do we want to allow users to set this? This would help with the development of the plugin.

(Jeff Atwood) #23

I think the plugin should first work with the date someone joined the Discourse and have a config option to use the birthdate field, later.