You say it's your birthday?

I was thinking that the plugin should provide two features.

Cakeday - Date you joined Discourse :cake:
Birthday - Your birthday! :balloon: :confetti_ball: :birthday: :confetti_ball: :balloon:

7 Likes

I would for my plugin but another plugin developer will get to decide what he wants to name it.

1 Like

It would be a shame if it where not possible to import or use already imported birthdates. Of course other developers could use different field names, but they could use the same name as well. IMHO there’s no need to speculate about it right now.
Anyway, I’d really like to support a birthday plugin by the import scripts.

1 Like

Where sites / forums have been imported perhaps “cake day” should be the earlier of one of the following:

• User join date (which might be date of site import)
  • Users first post (which will have an accurate date / time)

Or perhaps the plugin could just warn admin if there are users that exist with join dates after their first post…
… then have a separate process to update the join date of the user to that of the first post.

Please make sure the date field (whatever it is) is correctly localized. We have people using all types of date formats so they would need to be explicitly guided to enter data.

2 Likes

This is great, thanks you! Would you mind moving or re-posting the cakeday plugin into a new topic and give it the ‘plugin’ category? Had to find this by looking through generic ‘birthday’ search, and it might be pretty useful for others, too, if they’re browsing plugins.

It would be nice if there was a way to add a page for users’ birthdays/cakedays to be displayed when upcoming, or expose the list of birthdays in the user directory. I’m looking to migrate my community of long-time phpbb users, and I’m sure they’re going to be upset if birthdays aren’t in there somewhere.

1 Like

There are some things with regards to how birthdays are entered which I’ll like to improve first before releasing it officially :smile:

2 Likes

Really cool.
@tgxworld is it possible to create a “cake-day” or “happy birthday” badge (with SQL) for your plugin in the meanwhile?

Pretty sure there’s already an “anniversary” badge build in by default.

Birthday badges would be a pretty simple sql joining on a custom_user_field element. Badges still wouldn’t be able to get displayed next to your name, however, and so wouldn’t be as public unfortunately.

I know there is an anniversary badge (now it is “1 year anniversary”).

Of course, infact I said “in the meanwhile”…

But a badge can be public too. I can click on a badge and see day-by-day the users who grant the “happy birthday” badge for example.