Discobot could be less ambigous

Maybe some helper text could be added to the discourse narrative bot disable public replies admin setting, e.g. “if you change this setting, you may wish to customize what discobot says when mentioned.”

That said, going back to the OP I think you have a point. The default text currently does not specify that the tutorial will take place in a personal message which happens whether discourse narrative bot disable public replies is enabled or not, which is useful info that might even encourage more people to actually do it.

I have not seen examples in the wild of discobot being used in public topics, but maybe one approach would be to post an icebreaker topic for new members so they can be invited to take the discobot challenge and report back on how much fun it was to do it, what funny conversations they shared with discobot, and otherwise encourage each other to take the tutorial and learn how discourse works.

The current default text…

I currently know how to do the following things:

`@%{discobot_username} %{reset_trigger} {name-of-tutorial}`
> Starts an interactive tutorial. `{name-of-tutorial}` can be one of: `%{tracks}`.

could be changed to something like…

I currently know how to do the following things:

`@%{discobot_username} %{reset_trigger} {name-of-tutorial}`
> Starts an interactive tutorial just for you, in a personal message. `{name-of-tutorial}` can be one of: `%{tracks}`.
3 Likes