I can't figure out how / if the "last visit" indicator line works

AI-generated summary

rahim123 is having trouble understanding how the “last visit” indicator line works on Discourse. They’ve tried it on both Discourse Meta and their own installation, and the line only appears after scrolling down to a point they don’t recall visiting, even after waiting over an hour. Moin shared a link to a previous discussion about a similar issue with the “last visit” red line not moving on Meta.

Hi there, basically my question is in the title of this thread. In theory the “last visit” line sounds like a great idea, but it’s either buggy or else I’m not understanding what it’s supposed to do. The previous visit timeout hours setting is 1 hour by default, I’m not sure what Discourse Meta uses. But this is where I browsed to on the front page:

Then I closed the browser tab, and well over an hour later I revisited Discourse Meta:

No “last visit” line until I scroll down quite a bit farther to a point that I don’t remember visiting:

I’m seeing this same behavior on my Discourse installation. Thanks in advance for any tips or explanations.