Embedding the Forum into Wordpress

AI-generated summary

George_Morris wants to integrate a Discourse forum into a WordPress site (http://theonefifty.com) and a separate Discourse instance (http://cohort.theonefifty.com). The goal is to allow approved users to access both WordPress and Discourse content seamlessly, ideally by embedding Discourse into a WordPress page. However, erlend_sh advises against embedding due to Discourse being a single-page application, instead suggesting creating a custom Discourse menu styled like the WordPress menu. George_Morris finds this solution acceptable.

I’m at a complete loss and I would love to move forward with Discourse but I can’t find documentation that’s up to date because so much that I’ve read is deprecated. Here is the gist.

Use Case: I have a member only site I’m creating. Users pay to access the content which is a blend of private videos, files and then access to the Discourse forum.

Setup: I’m running the main site at http://theonefifty.com where it’s powered by WordPress, I’m running Discourse at http://cohort.theonefifty.com

What I want: Users come to the WordPress site, fill out an application and once it’s reviewed and approved I manually create their Discourse account. (Ideally SSO would work here but right now that’s a secondary objective.) Once I approve the users I want them to login to their account and have access to both WordPress and Discourse content in a seamless way. Ideally I’d wrap Discourse with the WordPress theme by embedding Discourse into the Forum page I’ve created in WordPress… is this even possible?

No, that’s not possible since Discourse is a single page application and it is not good web practice in general.

You should make a custom menu for your Discourse instance and style it just like your WordPress menu:

Wonderful. This will work great and thank you for the solid suggestion!