Manage multiple Discourse instances from one place only

AI-generated summary

Managing Multiple Discourse Instances

The discussion revolves around managing multiple Discourse forums efficiently. kullboys expressed frustration with repetitive tasks such as upgrading and styling. pfaffman shared a solution by scripting rebuilds at the command line and using a Discourse settings uploader.

The conversation focused on pfaffman’s discourse-settings-uploader tool, with denvergeeks seeking clarification on its usage. pfaffman later recommended using the bulk operations method (https://meta.discourse.org/t/administrative-bulk-operations/118349#exportimport-8) instead.

Additionally, denvergeeks inquired about copying Theme Components from one instance to another, similar to copying Plugins in the app.yml file.

Hello everyone
If you manage multiple Discourse forums (I’m taking care of two), you often find yourself doing repetitive work: upgrading core/plugins, various settings & styling and so on. If I’d have one more forum to manage i’ll probably go nuts ! :slight_smile:

There is a way of doing this one without going on all forum admins?

Thanks!

You can script rebuild at the command line. I’ve written a Discourse settings uploader that will install settings to multiple sites. I don’t know if an automated way to upload themes, though if the sites use the same themes you can host them at github.

@pfaffman is your discourse-settings-uploader still the only (or optimal) way to copy site settings from one standalone discourse instance to another?

If so, for the example provided in the repository…

./discourse-settings-uploader https://discourse.example.com d35989078a system site_settings.json

I saved the site_settings.json to my PC downloads folder. Shouldn’t I be saving it to the remote server, and if so, where?

Then I tried running that command like so… (and received the displayed error in the console)…

Is there any more instruction you could provide?

I think Administrative Bulk Operations is the way to go.

OK great thank you. Is there a file that stores the list of Theme Components that I can copy from one instance to another, like I do with the Plugins in the app.yml?