Manage multiple Discourse instances from one place only

Hello everyone
If you manage multiple Discourse forums (I’m taking care of two), you often find yourself doing repetitive work: upgrading core/plugins, various settings & styling and so on. If I’d have one more forum to manage i’ll probably go nuts ! :slight_smile:

There is a way of doing this one without going on all forum admins?

Thanks!

2 Likes

You can script rebuild at the command line. I’ve written a Discourse settings uploader that will install settings to multiple sites. I don’t know if an automated way to upload themes, though if the sites use the same themes you can host them at github.

7 Likes

@pfaffman is your discourse-settings-uploader still the only (or optimal) way to copy site settings from one standalone discourse instance to another?

If so, for the example provided in the repository…

./discourse-settings-uploader https://discourse.example.com d35989078a system site_settings.json

I saved the site_settings.json to my PC downloads folder. Shouldn’t I be saving it to the remote server, and if so, where?

Then I tried running that command like so… (and received the displayed error in the console)…

Is there any more instruction you could provide?

2 Likes

I think Administrative Bulk Operations is the way to go.

2 Likes

OK great thank you. Is there a file that stores the list of Theme Components that I can copy from one instance to another, like I do with the Plugins in the app.yml?

2 Likes