1,000,000 pageviews in 2 weeks...! Why? Because Discourse. šŸš€

Well, I just keep it updated, and donā€™t use a lot of plugins. The only two I use are discourse-affiliate (which unfortunately only does Amazon-links, and not even UK-ones) and retort. I do have the standard ones enabled.
Itā€™s been relatively unproblematic, although I am thinking about storing images externally (S3 or Digital Ocean Object Storage).

As for financing, I run ads on the main site, not the forum. The reason for this is, that people can donate to have the ads removed, and I havenā€™t worked out how to turn ads off for some users on the forum, so I left it ad-free for now. If I were just running a forum, Iā€™d probably just throw some ads in there (though Iā€™d like to be able to turn them off for some users).

2 Likes

holy moly, thatā€™s giantā€¦ still on 2gb ram. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Weā€™ve scaled things up a bit to handle and done some performance-related tweaks and upgrades. Weā€™re now on a High-Availability CPU (ā€˜High CPUā€™) with 12GB / 8 CPUs.

3 Likes

How much bandwitdh do you need?

1 Like

Not much - There arenā€™t a lot of media on the forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Split from ā€œ1M pageviews in 2 weeksā€

Really enjoyed Patreonā€™s recent write-up about you :wink: Congrats on your continued success!

19 Likes

ah, thanks so much!

so much of our continued growth has been because of Discourseā€¦ i canā€™t express how grateful i am to the team here and the product!

13 Likes

loved meeting some of the team today @ the CMX event!

this software has literally changed my lifeā€¦ and the lives of many folks that weā€™ve been able to connect with from all over the world.

:clap: THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR AMAZING and IMPORTANT WORK! :rocket:

33 Likes

This is now a redirect to a Discord server. What happened?

8 Likes

It probably was too expensive to run discourse for a chat style system for 100k+ people that continued to grow without any constraints. But thatā€™s just a guess.

Also the timing of conversation in cryptocurrency is important. They are shilling and inventing and the rest of it. So synchronized chat in real-time is probably more appropriate than anything.

3 Likes

40 Gb to small for large community with 1 million views, storage play a huge role on communties. not only cpu power. Even computer relax with more storage.

1 Like

Well, there sure arenā€™t 100k+ people on the Discord server.

4 Likes

Hmmm. Itā€™s funny how crypto works isnā€™t it ā€” here today, somewhere else tomorrow.

3 Likes

And therefore very compatible with ephemeral chat media ā€¦

2 Likes

Good catch. From that can we conclude the migration away from Discourse was not a brilliant success? :thinking:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think you can say that. Like many projects, the leads could have lost interest or got what they needed out of the exercise and reached their objectives.

3 Likes