New features in 2.7.0.beta4
‘Discourse SSO’ is now DiscourseConnect
Discourse has long supported numerous authentication methods, from username/password, to social logins with common services like Google, Facebook, Twitter, and GitHub, to enterprise systems like SAML. Discourse has also maintained its own authentication protocol, known as ‘Discourse SSO’. We’ve found, however, that calling our protocol ‘SSO’ can cause confusion, so we’ve renamed our protocol to DiscourseConnect.
Note that there are no technical changes to the protocol, it is just a rename.
Topic Timer UI revamp
Topics timers allow site staff to schedule various actions on a topic, including auto-close/auto-open, auto-delete, auto-delete replies, publish to a new category, and more. Following the bookmark UI revamp in 2.5.0.beta3, the Topic Timer UI has been updated to match.
Bookmark and Topic Timer relative time input
If you’re like me, you’ve likely found yourself wanting to delete a topic in, say, 2 days, only to find yourself looking at your watch, checking the calendar, and more so you can select the correct date/time. No more! Bookmarks and Topic Timers now support relative time. Enter the number of minutes, hours, days, or months you want and Discourse handles the rest.
Login Modal UI Revamp
The signup/login modal is one of the first things users see when accessing a new Discourse site. We wanted to make it a bit more inviting, colorful, and all together nicer looking. So we gave it a bit of ZAZZ. There’s also a small easter egg hidden on the modal - can you find it?
We’re always working to ensure that everyone on the internet can use Discourse, including those using assistive technology. To that end, this release includes additional accessibility improvements based on a recent audit we underwent.
- Add rowheader to topic title TDs
- Makes select-kit header a listbox
- Adds support for aria-current through d-navigation-item
- Makes aria-owns an ID and not a data attribute
- Sets has-popup as menu for select-kit components
- Makes quote controls accessible
- Sets the html lang to user’s locale when possible
- Correctly sets a name on combo-boxes for single selects
- Adds support for aria-expanded and aria-controls to btn
- Makes user notifications list more accessible