A Bot to match random users?

Hi all, I hope this is in the right forum!

I run a number of community book club forums, and one feature we were thinking of starting was a bot that could connect two random users. The idea came from a bot I came across on an MS Teams meetup site, and I think it would increase conversation about the books.

Basically just a bot to send two users a message saying “Hi George, we’d like to introduce you to Bob, send a PM here” and vice versa.

Here’s the bot from MS Teams:

I’ve done a search, specifically to see if I could edit Discobot to do this, but I couldn’t find anything. Has this been done before?

Thank you!

2 Likes

Doesn’t need to be a’bot’. You can simply create a Job within a plugin that runs some Ruby code to identify and email the respective users.

3 Likes

Welcome @dinoscool3! I think you’ve come to the right place. I’m not quite sure if this will help, but check out Mingle - An Introductions Plugin. I’m not really familiar with it, but I think it’s at least close to what you’re looking for, perhaps if only to give you ideas to solve your actual goal.

I hope this helps!

4 Likes

Thanks to you both! I just had bot on the mind because that’s how I’ve seen it used previously. Just searching for a plugin makes a lot more sense. Mingle looks like its exactly what I’m looking for. Thank you!

3 Likes

discourse-automation can do this. We use it for our Secret Santa matching. I’m not sure when we’re releasing it yet though. @joffreyjaffeux will have more info.

4 Likes

Yes automation would do it, a mingle script is on my list. I don’t have a specific date yet, but release should be in the next 2 months.

6 Likes

Awesome! I’ll take a look at that too when it launches :slight_smile:

1 Like

@joffreyjaffeux did you ever launch your mingle script?

Discourse automation now exists:

It has a gift exchange automation script.

2 Likes

Interesting! Will take a look…but would the gift mean they are matched secretly? Or could it be used to match them so they both know the other, even if there is no gift exchanged.

I think the may be matched secretly, but it should be reasonably easy to adjust or add a mingle version here