A little friendlier hidden post message?

Below is the current default copy that a user receives if their post has been automatically hidden.

Hello,

This is an automated message from %{site_name} to let you know that your post was hidden.

%{base_url}%{url}

%{flag_reason}

Multiple community members flagged this post before it was hidden, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback. **You can edit your post after %{edit_delay} minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.**

However, if the post is hidden by the community a second time, it will remain hidden until handled by staff  - and there may be further action, including the possible suspension of your account.

For additional guidance, please refer to our [community guidelines](%{base_url}/guidelines).

The reason for the flagging and hence for the hiding can vary. Based on the options users get in the flag modal, I’m assuming that it can be either: off-topic, inappropriate, spam or “Something Else”. Here I want to focus on the scenario where the reason is that the post was considered off-topic.

For that scenario, I find it inappropriate to threaten people with suspending their account, even if it’s just mentioning the possibility in general terms. You write something that three people consider off topic and are treated like a potential criminal? Not particularly civil, if you ask me.

I’m not sure how this could be improved given that it’s the same message template that gets used for really offensive behaviour and bring off-topic. On my forum, I simply deleted the part part that says

and there may be further action, including the possible suspension of your account

Because I don’t think it’s necessary, even for the other flagging reasons but if people think that suspension should be mentioned by default, perhaps something like this would do:

Please remember that in cases of severe misconduct, a user's account may be suspended.
7 Likes

I think this is an excellent suggestion and I agree this message could benefit from some softening, so it is done!

8 Likes