Ability to limit use of personal message as storage

On our platform, uploads are highly utilized and having attractive galleries is important. However, I would like to restrict the use of private messages as a form of “private galleries.”

I know that this issue arises occasionally. (again)

I’d love to see an user upload quota, ideally with separate quotas for public and private uploads. It would be even better if these quotas could be set per user group, including custom user groups, to offer an additional benefit to certain preferred groups.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts. Perhaps there is a completely different solution that I haven’t considered.

3 Likes

With 1TB of object storage costing as little as $6, I believe that most sites who are heavy on uploads aren’t much worried about storage costs nowadays. When paired with our Client side image optimization enabled by default, it means that it costs you $6 per month for every ~2,000,000 pictures uploaded by users.

That said, I hear you on users abusing PMs, that is a problem I had to fight in the instance I was the main administrator. In the end I almost disabled PMs to discourage it’s use by making the limits very low on all PMs settings.

2 Likes