About the Plugin category

(Sam Saffron) #1

Plugin directory. To post here, message a Staff member and ask for access. One post per plugin please.

If you have a plugin that should be moved here please flag your post.

For site owners:

For developers:

Note

Plugin authors should all have the permission to post topics here, if you are a plugin author please contact @sam via a PM so I can add you to the plugin_author group.

What category should plugin support be in?
Easier way to send a PM to a group?
Make permissions visible on private categories
Can't select some categories
(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #2

This workflow would be a lot easier if anyone could post to this category, but threads from first time posters will be made private, essentially added to the moderator queue.

If post is approved, users’ new posts will go public straight away.

A great and very necessary first take on the plugin directory though!

(Sam Saffron) #3

Eventually, if we have a slew of plugins … I don’t think we need to micro optimise this quite yet.

(Caue Rego) #4

This is supposed to be a list of officially supported plugins, right?

What being officially supported means?

Shouldn't you be able to tag with multiple categories?
Is there a list of active plugins?
(Sam Saffron) #5

I am being misquoted here

I said “Official plugin directory”

Aka, the official list of plugins that exist for Discourse.

(Caue Rego) #6

Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there such a list, though?

Or do you just assimilate plugins?

(Manthan Mallikarjun) #7

Quick question: Are there docs/info on how to create a plugin?

(Caue Rego) #8

Quick answer: after your question, there became one!

Now…

Re-enforcing my previous question: is there any easy way to tell if a plugin in the list have been “officially” merged (better than assimilated) into discourse?

For instance, I can tell something like this probably happened to general stats.

Another question: is creating a plugin the easiest way to get a Pull Request through? :stuck_out_tongue:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #9

There’s no established convention for it. If you see a plugin that appears to have been superseded by core features, flag it with a notification to the mods and we’ll close it if appropriate.

[quote=“cawas, post:8, topic:12648”]
is creating a plugin the easiest way to get a Pull Request through?
[/quote]As long as the feature in question has already been “sanctioned” by the core devs, i.e. they mentioned something like “PR welcome” in the feature discussion or even added the “planned” tag for good measure, then an actual pull request is still the way to go.

If however a feature is heavily debated, making a plugin for it will be a good way to increase its chances of core adoption, since prototypes speak louder than mockups.

(Caue Rego) #10

Nice, I wasn’t even thinking about that! My point was if you guys have seen it and merged.

Maybe a better point could be: is there an automated of telling which plugins are installed here in http://meta.discourse.org (or any other discourse installation)?

:100:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #11

8 posts were split to a new topic: Suggestions for better plugin maintenance

Suggestions for better plugin maintenance
Suggestions for better plugin maintenance