Accent characters missing in search excerpts

Quick question.

I noticed some weird thing.

When I use the search a the forum I imported from phpBB 3.2 in 2018, the results excerpts don’t have accented characters, whereas the full message contains accents.
It doesn’t happen in recent messages, so I believe this weird little bug was created during the importation.

Excerpt:

Full message:

I wonder if it really comes from the import script and if the bug still exists. Any idea?

Does rebaking the post fix the problem? There might have been a bug in 2018.

I rebuilt the HTML through Discourse interface and it didn’t resolve the issue. It’s not a serious one though, a lot of French people even don’t care about accents, I wouldn’t mind if it couldn’t be resolved.
I’m just curious about where the problem comes from.

1 Like

I just tried this on another French forum - which was not imported - and topics from around that time do indeed not contain accented characters in their search excerpts.

Weird is that when I look at German forums, old topics do contain accented characters in their search excerpts :thinking:

Look at the last line of this log

commit cee51672c96d29174196717b734c7f7ba0754172
Author: Daniel Hollas <danekhollas@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Oct 23 03:10:33 2018 +0200

FIX: Strip accents from search query

4481836 introduced accent stipping in search_indexer,
    but we need to strip it from the query itself as well

TODO in search with diacritics:
     - Still need to fix excerpts on search page
3 Likes

Okay, so if the problem is no more, then this case can be closed (correct me if I’m wrong). Old excerpts with missing accents aren’t a big deal. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the explanation @RGJ!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.