Accepting Likes from unregistered users

Wouldn’t it be great if even unregistered users could show some appreciation for your post in the form of our ever so lovely :heart: gesture? With the concept of “staged users” introduced by the now-shipped Private Email Support spec, this seems quite doable to me.

It would work similar to the prompt UserVoice presents when an unregistered user tries to vote on a feature:

How it’d work

1. Start showing the Like button even for unregistered users
  2. An unregistered user clicking to Like will get a pop-up with two options:
    a. Register to Like
    b. Just enter email. User will not be subscribed to anything.
5 Likes

So liking a post makes you watch the topic as a staged user? This seems a little weird to me, a behavior more specific to user voice which is a feature voting site.

Maybe liking a post as anon pops the create account dialog? That would be simpler.

5 Likes

Yes, another vote for this. Showing options to interact should always drive more registration than relying on people to hit the register button

That wouldn’t work for SSO like the original suggestion does.

I don’t see how any of this works for SSO.

1 Like

No, it doesn’t subscribe you to anything.

It wouldn’t be compatible with SSO enabled, same as things like social logins.

Thinking about this some more though, it might not be worth the hassle for the user. We’d have to require a confirmation mail, otherwise anyone can vote on your behalf willy-nilly. After first confirmation maybe we could keep that in a cookie and let the user spend their TL0 votes without confirming again, but that’s a lot of added complexity for such a simple feature.

The pondering continues :thought_balloon:

That would indeed be a whole lot simpler and would be a great first take in any case. I could swear this was discussed elsewhere at some point. Anyhow, I’m all for it.

1 Like