Add color and subcategory styling to category and chat mentions

We have tags stylized with Tag Icons component (color hack + font awesome icons, see attached screenshot). Can this be a feature or maybe an option in new Hashtags updates?

4 Likes

Why ā€œmustā€ the user know these things exactly? The subcategory name will still be written in text after all. Are you just worried about the case where multiple subcategories across different categories have the same name?

Personally I find the existing approach to be clunky, if passable. #category:subcategory is just awkward to me. If a redesign is being made anyway, I strongly support the one/two color bullet point followed by the category/subcategory name only (not combined). While I donā€™t know all the colors the forum I frequent uses, I know all the top level category colors as well as those of my most visited subcategories. I think it will fit nicely into the existing design and will improve the experience at least for me.

Because otherwise it is just noise, and not even that decorative solution, perhaps?

The informative point is to give a hint to user when a link is ā€justā€ a link and when that link is pointing to category, tag, user or even outside from a site is an informative solution if an user understand itā€™s purpose. Random colors has no such informative purpose what so ever.

We arenā€™t setting a forum to admin and few super users, are we? They know exacly what, where and why without anykind aids.

To you perhaps. To me it has a very informative purpose. It probably varies from person to person, as with most things.

And we are back in the real issue: when an admin can dictate how things are working for all?

Same thing as that: