Add forum description at top of home page

Is there a way to add a (2 to 3 sentence) forum description at the top of the home page? I understand I could do that with a topic I post to the top of the page, but I would prefer just having a more obvious site description at the top.

By “a topic I post to the top of the page”, do you mean a pinned topic/banner?
What do you mean by “more obvious”?
If it’s about the style, you can customize the pinned topic appearance with CSS.

1 Like

I use Banners for that.

2 Likes

Thanks. It would be more like a banner, if that’s the easiest way. I want to put in a brief site description at the top of the forum–for example to replace where the current container under the site header appears.

The beauty of this approach is that it will show up for all anon unregistered users whilst registered users can dismiss it (they pretty much got the gist of what’s going on already :wink: )

And like @Canapin suggests, you can style it if you so choose (but the basic banner is pretty useful already).

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll take a look. I probably want to keep it there for all users.

Then you’ll have to hide the dismiss cross with CSS, probably.

Thanks. Sorry to miss it, but I’m not finding where to add a banner. Do I need a plugin for that?

Topic wrench, bottom left. No, it’s native functionality.

1 Like

I see the pin/un-pin option, but where is the banner option?

EDIT: I see it now. Thanks. Appears when I click un-pin topic

1 Like

It’s in the pin submenu

2 Likes

How do you do this banner?

It’s literally explained above.

Create a topic then

select Pin Topic

and

2 Likes

There is also the great discourse category banners theme component (see here). Assuming the page you’re focused on is a category home page, then this component works great to show a banner across the top of the page.