Add "New Topic" button in full page search view

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

I hypothesise that when a user makes a search, especially when drilled down into a specific category, the user wants quick access to the “New Topic” button, in case the search does not return the desired results.

This just happened to me when I was checking to see if a bug I wanted to report already existed. When my search turned out to be fruitless, the next natural step was to make a new topic, but in order to do that I had to jump back to the index page, click “New Topic” and select the Bugs category.

Mockup:

If you’re drilled down into a specific category, the category selector should default to that category.

Probably a good pull-request candidate?

"New Topic" button on tag results page?
Compact styling for full page search is not ideal

If you are going to do this, how about making it site wide?
see: Add + New Topic link to all pages

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

There’s definitely some merit to a sitewide New Topic button, but it requires far more radical UX changes (especially on mobile) than what’s being proposed here, which is about working with what we’ve already got.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

I definitely support adding a new topic button in search results, the logic is sound, cc @sam I think this should make it into 1.4.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

@techapj can you add this to your list?

(Arpit Jalan) #6

Sent a PR for this:

Okay, what I did is: When user searches for topic category:bug and clicks on “New Topic” then composer will open up with “bug” category pre-selected.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #7