Full page search does not search users or categories like on-page search does

It’s impossibile to search a user with the new full search on mobile, you can scroll down for a while with any results.
Otherwise with the old search box, after 3/4 results users are suggested.

This is a dupe of another post in the new search feedback topic. But yes full page search does not currently match categories or users like the pop up search does.

Sorry I missed it, I looked for a topic.

Totally fine, we probably should have a topic to track this anyway. I just wanted to let you know we were already aware of it.

4 Likes

This could be mitigated somewhat if the pop-up search could still work on the search page. I have to switch to a different tab to find a username to enter in the the search box.

1 Like

I think this was the topic where we had some discussion on this.

BTW, I just realized that the default text on the full page search even says,
“search topics, posts, users or categories”

1 Like

I watched a new user struggle with this the other day. I told her a person/user to search for in response to a question she had. She typed the name in the popup search and intuitively hit ‘enter’ very quickly before the pop-up results were returned.

I said, “hmm… guess users aren’t returned on this page…try that again, but don’t hit enter right away”.

Then, when she clicked on the search icon again, the cursor just went to the main search box… which was unexpected (as @pfaffman notes above).

I had to guide her to go back to the home page, then click the search icon, type the user name, but do not click enter immediately, and voila, the user we wanted to find was right there…

5 Likes

I’ve run into this before as well. Not too frequently, as I tend to just type /users/username directly into the URL bar, but it is certainly surprising when you want to search for a category and find out you can’t on full page!

@sam you really should revert this behavior, unless on mobile…

Yes I agree, this is not consistent with what imdb does, will revert, but I really feel the big issue at hand is:

I got to get users and categories in the full page search … will set aside some time for that … currently there is no way to search for users on mobile.

5 Likes

The revert is now done:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/665a87a32ffa391f39905908521e7ec91bdbd24c

4 Likes