Add Nynorsk translation

I’m interested in localizing Discourse to Nynorsk in addition to Bokmål, both of which the two official written languages of Norway.

I am the administrator for the Norwegian Language Learning community’s latest effort to launch a Discourse site, and it is tremendously important for us at NLL to not only have the site available in Bokmål, for which Discourse has an existing incomplete translation, but in Nynorsk as well.

I went to add a Nynorsk translation in Crowdin but I see that there is no option for me to do so. I presume that perhaps the workspace administrator may need to add it first?

And also, I presume afterwards whenever whatever translations I write hit a release that then Nynorsk will become an option for string replacements in a given Discourse instance’s administrator options, correct?

Thanks for the help.

5 Likes

I added it on Crowdin: https://discourse.crowdin.com/discourse/nn-NO

No, it won’t. We only add new languages to Discourse when at least 50% of strings have been translated. We have this rule to prevent Discourse from shipping low-quality translations. But, as you have noticed, the translation into Norwegian Bokmål is incomplete and way below the translation threshold. We are only keeping it for backwards compatibility, it wouldn’t be added nowadays.

I’m keeping an eye on translation progress, but please don’t hesitate to mention me here on Meta when the translation progress reaches 50%. We’ll happily add Nynorsk as a new language when that happens.

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I sincerely appreciate it. This is an important translation for NLL and I’m glad I’ll be able to start contributing to Discourse with these translations.

Is that 50% of the translations for Discourse core, in other words, not including plugins and so on, or 50% total?

2 Likes

Discourse core and core plugins shipped with core. Essentially everything you can find in the main branch of https://discourse.crowdin.com/discourse/nn-NO

3 Likes