Add "orderdesc" modification to advanced search

While we can choose which field to order by when searching in advanced mode:

• order:views
  • order:latest
  • order:likes

… we cannot choose whether we want to order ascending or descending.

Adding orderdesc modifier would easily make it possible:

• orderdesc:views
  • orderdesc:latest
  • orderdesc:likes

order:likes is already descending, right?

So what you want is “the opposite of the normal order that this term means”.

Not sure about this, but… How about order:-views to start at 0 and go up, while order:-latest starts at the oldest?

struggling to think of use cases for orderdesc:likes or orderdesc:views, though I am open to possibly adding order:earliest (its quite rare to need though)

2 Likes

We should find a way to allow for opposite ordering for any ordering type (kind of a universal way of doing it), then easier to remember and use.

You never know what one could come up with :slight_smile:

I’d use orderdesk:likes to identify which type of material is the worst in terms of people likes and not create similar topics, or not include them in the lists.

orderdesc:views might possibly indicate topics that need some more useful information to get more attractions from organic search.

I think there might be more use-cases I can’t think of, why not just make it possible with a single operator.

I want this feature in order to support an “inbox” use case for processing forum traffic: I have a search that I want to sort by least recently posted (so that I can work down the queue of posts awaiting a response), and I can only get most recently posted (afaict).

You might want to consider using the Unanswered filter: /latest?max_posts=1.

However, I did also write a PR to add this sorting option:

Taking suggestions as to what the name in the dropdown menu should be, I don’t really like “Oldest Update”.

2 Likes

I was looking for a way to sort results by oldest (ascending chronological order, adding these terms for future search on meta…) when searching inside a topic.

I couldn’t find “Sort by Oldest Post” (there’s only Latest Post), but I did try “Sort by Latest Topic” and it did work.

I think I understand the logic, but the words are a bit counterintuitive in this particular case.

A choice of ascending/descending chronological order would be, for me, a nice addition, I sometimes try to do that, and did it on other forums that allowed it. Often most for fun than looking for specific and interesting info though.

Also, I wonder how often people sort by Latest, compared to the default “Relevance”. I often use “by Latest” on many forums.