Adding a Tag rejects an existing tag name

Is there a tool to rebuild/re-index the list of Tags?

Our site has a Tag (“supertool-script”) that is used with some topics in a Category but cannot be added to other topics in that same Category. (example of topic that rejects the tag. topic is not locked but has a “Solution”. Tried with the Solution turned off with the same results.)

The odd part is that the popup menu (which searches the existing tags) cannot find a partial match, so it offers a “Create:” option until the exact matching text is entered.

Yet after there is an exact match, the menu changes to “No matches found”, there is no “Create” option offered, and clicking the check (to apply the Edit) does nothing.

Gramps uses a discourse.org hosted instance offered to Open Source projects

I looked in the Tag section of the manual:

Have you limited the use of the tag or the tag group to certain categories, since you have been able to use it in that category?

3 Likes

Not that I am aware of. I am a moderator, not an admin. I will ask.

We have a topic in our Feedback category where we tried to find a resolution for the problem. (Another topic in this forum was about a Tag not appearing. It was isolated to the 2 Max Tags preferences. Our admin increased the setting to more than our total Tag count. That had no effect.)

1 Like

Our admin replies: I can’t see any tag restrictions set in the Help, Ideas or Development categories.

Yes but are those made in tag groups?

I think a setting in the tag group requires, that you first add the third-party-addon tag:

I had problems with that here too. You have to add ai before you can use ai-helper.

Sorry for creating the spam topic. I expected the topic creation to fail, because I only used supertool script, but Discourse was clever and added the third-party-addon tag when I clicked “Create Topic”.

Yes! That was the problem. The Tag is part of our site’s Third Party Addons Group. So I need to add a Third Party Addons tag before the supertool-script tag can be accepted by the tagging interface.

This is exactly backwards — if the feature is tool intended to be a time saver. I have to add tags twice and in a specific order. This is RPN for tagging.

If instead, it automagically added the parent tag group when the child tag was selected, that would be a time saver. Or if the child tags showed in the selector when the Parent tag Group was entered, the interface would basically have hints. (And selecting the Child tag should, again, add the Parent group.)

You could support my feature request with a vote

1 Like