Admin only tags, plus required tags?

OK. Let’s Talk Tags. I have 3 very specific questions which I need solutions too.

1. Is it possible to have only admin created tags? With all user creation of tags totally disallowed?

2. Is it possible to insist that any new post must include a selection of any 1 of these admin created tags? Or post is not accepted.

3. Do all replies to a post with a tag, also take on that tag as it’s own. Or if not. Can it be made to do so.

If these is not in the standard features. Can it be configured to do this in a way that these changes are not overwritten when the software is updated.

Thank you

Yes

No, I don’t think so. But you can enforce category selection instead.

Tags apply to topics only, not to posts. That is: you cannot tag a post at all.

5 Likes

Thanks. I appreciate your quick response.

1. Great

2. OK. So a topic is a thread title? Correct?

3. My tags are required because Discourse is a flat forum with Categories and Sub-Categories. They will be a number of price ranges like free, under $20, and up. Which are required. I need these tags. And I need that a new thread is forced to select 1 of these admin created tags. So is there a way to do this which won’t get overwritten when the software is upgraded.

I cannot have a new post which doesn’t have 1 of these tags.

Thank you

Yes, it IS now possible (since version 2.0). You can see the discussion here:

If you have enabled tags on your site, then you have a category setting that allows you to determine how many tags are required as a minimum:

We use the term topic to mean the conversation, beginning with the first post. So the topic is the original post and all the subsequent posts in the conversation. You are not able to tag the posts individually, but you can add the tag to the topic.

If a post within that topic is different or unrelated, and therefore requires a different tag, you can always select it and convert it into a NEW topic or merge it with another relevant one.

8 Likes

OK. I’d just like to clarify here since I’ve had some conflicting information.

1. Is it possible to have only admin created tags? With all user creation of tags totally disallowed?

The answer is Yes

1. Is it possible to insist that any new post must include a selection of any 1 of these admin created tags? Or post is not accepted.

The answer is Yes.

1. Do all replies to a post with a tag, also take on that tag as it’s own. Or if not. Can it be made to do so.

This was a bit of a confused question. But as long as the answer to 2. is yes. It’s a moot point since now every topic (new post) will have (if Minimum number of Tags is set to more than 0 for that Category) it’s own Tag from a list of admin defined tags.

Thank you.

2 Likes

No. Tags are at a topic level, not a post level. But as you say, it’s moot. For the purposes of this discussion I believe they do everything you need them to do.

4 Likes

Thank you. I was a bit nervous when considering Discourse with it’s Flat Forum Categories and Sub-Categories only. When I needed a sub-sub category for price ranges. But because I can turn these price levels into tags and have tags restricted to Admin creation and force every new post to select 1 price range tag with their post. I think I have an ideal solution.

I do have 1 more question though. When a member is looking through the ads in a sub-category, with no Tag selected. They will see all price ranges in that sub-category? (Y/N). But when they click on a Tag or more than 1 tag, is the search still restricted to that sub-category? (Y/N) Or can be configured to be restricted to each sub-category? (Y/N) Of course it would be not nice, if the search showed the all the ads with price ranges of tags of the entire forum (ie not being restricted to the sub-category they are in).

Y

N

You can do an advanced search with those filters, Y.

Thank you again, Hawk.

OK. That’s not going to be a perfect solution, trying to educate every member, that they have to do an advanced search in order to see only the ads for the category they are in using tags.

I do understand why tags are operating like that though. It’s the nature of the beast. But (I think) it would be a good suggestion if there was an option to search only the sub-category they are in, or to search the whole forum, on a sub-category overall basis, or by selecting each sub-category option, 1 by 1.

But I would think that would be a good option to include. Because that is what I need :slight_smile:

1 Like