Admins may not realize certain sidebar customization are global

I encountered this issue on one of my forums. One of the admins edited the sidebar sections, thinking it would only customize his own sidebar. It changed the sidebar for everyone and I needed to fix it later.

When you edit a section, for example Community, there’s no mention anywhere that the modification is global and not applied only to the current user. The user being an admin, he didn’t know the edit button didn’t exist for regular users, who have a New Topic button instead of an Edit Section button.

I suggest adding a message somewhere to mention that the change will be applied globally, for everyone. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I didn’t realize this. Thank you.

1 Like

@mcwumbly this seems like an important small change. I agree it’s ambiguous.

4 Likes

My initial thought was that this could be handled by the “global” icon in the header like we do for custom sections…

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 4.46.35 PM

…but I held off because we’re planning on removing the title of that top section and would need to find a new place for this indicator.

For now I think this should help:

Here I’m showing the “Make this section public and visible to everyone” checkbox like we do in custom sections, but it can’t be deselected. On hover/tap a tooltip appears to clarify that this section’s content is always public.

6 Likes

I search for a sign or something to jump to latest post but

/t/share-things/555/latest

didn’t work for me.

/latest will take you to the standard topic list ordered by topics with the most recent post activity.

If you’re looking for something that will take you to the latest post of a specific topic you can add /last to the end. eg:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/we-have-a-new-default-theme-here-on-meta/284692/last