All files and directories disappeared from root

I’m in the process of spinning up Discourse for the first time. I just finished getting my mail server setup. I’m using Mailgun, and their DNS checking tool gives me all green check marks. Still I’m not receiving the activation email when signing up for the forum. So I find this discussion:

I Putty into the system to check the settings using ./discourse-setup, but nothing. I use the “ls” command, and there is nothing! The droplet is still working, because when I visit the forum, the welcome screen shows up in my browser.

What happened here? The system says it needs a restart; Will my files and directories show up after that?

1 Like

Try using .\discourse-doctor, it should help. See this topic below for details on it

1 Like

I do that, and I get “command not found”. Same as when I try to run the setup. It’s as everything is gone!

1 Like

did you cd /var/discourse again when reconnecting? cd changes directory to the specified path.

An empty folder sounds like you are looking at your home folder.

3 Likes

Hi Stephen.

You’re right, I was. Problem solved, simple as that. Odd that ls doesn’t work on the root!

3 Likes