Stuck at root@forum:~#

In the (never-ending) process of trying to setup Discourse via Mailgun + Digital Ocean.
I’ve secured my droplet with Digital Ocean and confirmed by DNS with name.com and Mailgun.
I entered my temporary password and reset it. Now I’m here

and don’t know what to do because the instructions I’m following don’t have this step.
What do I do with: root@forum:~#

Can someone PLEASE help?! I’ve been working on this for two days in what feels like a hundred different ways.

Hey Whitney!

Happy to help, but I’m not sure what you’re trying to do.

root@forum:~# is a prompt waiting for an input. You’ve successfully accessed the server, and now need to do whatever the next step in your process is. Assuming you’re going through the official install process, the next step would be the install Discourse step.

3 Likes

It actually means you’re in your server.

You should continue from here (Install Docker / Git)

1 Like

Ok. Wow, yeah. That’s embarrassing. Ha! I’m very new to this.
I moved into the next step - seems to have been successful. But then this…

For context, I went through all of this yesterday only to realize that Gmail wasn’t going to work. Now I’m trying to follow the install more closely…but, yeah.

Check out the 5th line from the bottom, you’ve combined two steps. You need to run

cd /var/discourse

Then, after that finishes, run

./discourse-setup

Also, if possible, copying the output into a code block is better than an image. It allows the text to be searchable/copyable.

To make a code block, use 3 backticks on their own line above and below the code.

Typing:

```
code
 goes
  here
```

Would result in

code
 goes
  here
2 Likes

Thanks for that! I went back, seemed to be finally running everything - was expecting to be prompted for admin information but stopped here:

+ /usr/bin/docker run --shm-size=512m -d --restart=always -e LANG=en_US.UTF-8 -e RAILS_ENV=production -e UNICORN_WORKERS=4 -e UNICORN_SIDEKIQS=1 -e RUBY_GLOBAL_METHOD_CACHE_SIZE=131072 -e RUBY_GC_HEAP_GROWTH_MAX_SLOTS=40000 -e RUBY_GC_HEAP_INIT_SLOTS=400000 -e RUBY_GC_HEAP_OLDOBJECT_LIMIT_FACTOR=1.5 -e DISCOURSE_DB_SOCKET=/var/run/postgresql -e DISCOURSE_DB_HOST= -e DISCOURSE_DB_PORT= -e DISCOURSE_HOSTNAME=forum.irresistible.org -e DISCOURSE_DEVELOPER_EMAILS=healingjusticepodcast@gmail.com -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS=smtp.mailgun.org -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT=587 -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME=postmaster@mg.irresistible.org -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD=11d47709c46c21ccb043f7c914dbdba7-f696beb4-6a27c118 -h forum-app -e DOCKER_HOST_IP=172.17.0.1 --name app -t -p 80:80 -p 443:443 -v /var/discourse/shared/standalone:/shared -v /var/discourse/shared/standalone/log/var-log:/var/log --mac-address 02:96:f4:e6:e7:14 local_discourse/app /sbin/boot
4d96de7fffe652fa5a000fb73176f9942e9001f91c0b75520b75670ed869aca4
root@forum:/var/discourse# 
+ /usr/bin/docker run --shm-size=512m -d --restart=always -e LANG=en_US.UTF-8 -e RAILS_ENV=production -e UNICORN_WORKERS=4 -e UNICORN_SIDEKIQS=1 -e RUBY_GLOBAL_METHOD_CACHE_SIZE=131072 -e RUBY_GC_HEAP_GROWTH_MAX_SLOTS=40000 -e RUBY_GC_HEAP_INIT_SLOTS=400000 -e RUBY_GC_HEAP_OLDOBJECT_LIMIT_FACTOR=1.5 -e DISCOURSE_DB_SOCKET=/var/run/postgresql -e DISCOURSE_DB_HOST= -e DISCOURSE_DB_PORT= -e DISCOURSE_HOSTNAME=forum.irresistible.org -e DISCOURSE_DEVELOPER_EMAILS=healingjusticepodcast@gmail.com -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS=smtp.mailgun.org -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT=587 -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME=postmaster@mg.irresistible.org -e DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD=11d47709c46c21ccb043f7c914dbdba7-f696beb4-6a27c118 -h forum-app -e DOCKER_HOST_IP=172.17.0.1 --name app -t -p 80:80 -p 443:443 -v /var/discourse/shared/standalone:/shared -v /var/discourse/shared/standalone/log/var-log:/var/log --mac-address 02:96:f4:e6:e7:14 local_discourse/app /sbin/boot

Any change you typed Ctrl+c on the keyboard? Where exactly in the process were you when this happened? We’ll need to see what happened before the output you’ve shared above.

After our last message, I stepped back and entered the following:

root@forum:~# cd /var/discourse
root@forum:/var/discourse# ./discourse-setup
Docker not installed. Enter to install from https://get.docker.com/ or Ctrl+C to exit
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 13216  100 13216    0     0   322k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  322k
# Executing docker install script, commit: f45d7c11389849ff46a6b4d94e0dd1ffebca32c1
+ sh -c apt-get update -qq >/dev/null
+ sh -c DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install -y -qq apt-transport-https ca-certificates curl >/dev/null
+ sh -c curl -fsSL "https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu/gpg" | apt-key add -qq - >/dev/null
Warning: apt-key output should not be parsed (stdout is not a terminal)

Alright I’m no expert - if it was me it would destroy this server and create a new one. It saves troubleshooting, u are just installing and not saving a production forum so save yourself the time and just make a new server. It’a a few minutes work especially with 4GB+ RAM servers.

And no one know what u actually did before all of this. Just my few cents.

2 Likes

A few minutes after that it should have started asking you for your host name and so on.

There’s really no need. You haven’t done anything yet that makes this any different from a new server. (Except, perhaps, installed Docker).

I don’t know. We don’t know what he did during these two days.

I read your suggestions and went back through the process. Discourse seemed to be setup and ready to go. I received this prompt:

Discourse is now installed.  Log into your admin account in a browser to continue
configuring Discourse.
root@forum:~# 

I went to http://167.71.253.224. I was prompted to enter a username and password. (I’ve made it to this point four times now) I did. And this was the result of that submission.

I went to my email and got this message:
Welcome to Discourse!

Click the following link to confirm and activate your new account:
http://forum.irresistible.org/u/activate-account/aaec7ffdc5fcd82b1fd9610b66f1fda9

If the above link is not clickable, try copying and pasting it into the address bar of your web browser.

When I clicked on it, I’m back at square one because it goes here:

At this point, I’ve done nothing outside of the steps listed in Install Guide. What’s the next best step? Because I’m at a loss.

You gotta go into the control panel of the website where you bought the domain irresistible.org and add a DNS entry:

Type: A
Name: forum
Value: 167.71.253.224

Wait five minutes and it should work.

5 Likes

You are a lifesaver. As much as I love learning new things, this was a bear. Thank you!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.