Allow a bunch of kittens to be used as default avatars

We’re working with a famous recording artist’s team to potentially move her public fan forums over to Discourse. One of the requests they had was for cuter default new user avatars.

Right now our default new avatars are simple first-letter plus background color, both associated with the username:

But we were thinking, what if built a plugin (or supported a configuration mode) that allowed a pool of (n) images to be randomly selected as the new user avatars, at the time users join. Then we could have this instead:

We’ve actually had this request before – for a game, it’d be cooler if new users were assigned a random avatar associated with the game, for example.

But since we have someone on the team who is a huge fan, and I don’t want to mention any names, but it is @eviltrout – I think we’ll get to this in the next few months.

5 Likes

As long as the images had some resembalance to the site, then this would be great! But if they were just some random pictures found on the web, then that would kinda suck…

The whole idea is that you pick the pool of images for your site.

1 Like

Being the internet, I think kitten avatars are a very appropriate as a secondary default.

3 Likes

Huh. @eviltrout is a Taylor Swift fan?

Tarak’ha peers curiously.

Sounds like someone I know!

As for this idea, I really like it. Reminds me of this really neat variable avatar project that can be extended by any artists who have time on their hands. I was thinking of using it eventually to make avatars that fit my forum topic.

1 Like

I think having the ability to choose from avatar sets would be a good thing for both Discourse and graphic artists.

Kittens are cute, but …

Don’t say I didn’t say I didn’t warn you

This feature is now in and functioning for 1.3 beta courtesy of @eviltrout.

Note that you can also use it as a feature to give all new users the same default avatar, if you want.

The site setting is default avatars under Admin, Settings, Files.

5 Likes

You can now also define a list of selectable avatars that must be used by all your users

3 Likes