Allow_uncategorized_topics setting message does not specify that admin account will bypass it

~Edit: The original issue of this topic was not an actual bug. I has been edited to reflect the actual issue.~

“allow uncategorized topics” message should specify that admin accounts will bypass this setting.

Otherwise it is confusing to users that inaccurate bug reports might be done.

In my case, it was one of our community manager that reported that they could create a category anywhere even after setting this config to true.

Initial topic:

Hi,

We have configured our Discourse so that uncategorized topics are not allowed.

_

_

The error message popup shows correctly:

_

_

_

_

However, the use can click “+ Create topic” and it creates the topic anyway.

Admins can still create uncategorized topics. Try logging in as a non-admin user to see how it works.

2 Likes

There was no uncategorized topics before those tests.

Ohhh. Yes, indeed.

This makes sense.

Alright, let’s change my “bug” report to: “allow uncategorized topics” message should specify that admin accounts will bypass this setting…

:shushing_face::nerd_face:

1 Like

Feel free to edit the OP as you see fit!

1 Like

Yes, staff are immune to this limit, they are immune to most limits in Discourse, and always have been. I don’t see any point in sticking dozens of virtual post-it notes all over the UI indicating this. All you need to keep in mind is one simple general rule: staff are immune to most normal user limits.

2 Likes

Fine with me. Now I have a forum thread from Discourse staffs that I can link and show the people who manage our instance. :wink:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.