Assign topics or messages when created via API

I’d like to be able to create messages that are assigned to specific users. Is this something that is possible already and I am missing something, or that you would consider adding?

I am not seeing reference to the assign plugin in the API docs. Seems to me an e.g. assigned_to=usernname should be an option.

https://docs.discourse.org/#tag/Posts%2Fpaths%2F~1posts.json%2Fpost

The background to this is that I am using discourse as a ticket system, using @angus’s Tickets Plugin 🎟. The easiest way for me to allow members to create tickets is to create a gravity form in wordpress that creates the message in discourse. I know this can work and I have the rest of it lined up, just not the ability to assign tickets to specific users upon creation.

To assign a topic you issue an API request after creating the topic. For the request format, please read How to reverse engineer the Discourse API

4 Likes

I need to create topics by API as staged users (sender does not need to have account in Discourse), so I have to do it by the /admin/email/handle_mail endpoint. But it does not return topic ID and seems to work in a batch.

What is the best way how to assign that topic?

The best for me would be if /admin/email/handle_mail endpoint could accept an assign field.

Why are you reversing the handle_email endpoint for creating topics?

You can’t use the standard create topic API with a staged user?

1 Like

I do not see option to create staged user by API: Discourse API Docs

Also here is is recommanded to use handle_email endpoint: Creating a staged user with an API call

This we won’t do. It is only meant to handle incoming email.

This doesn’t work actually, you will get a 403 error.

Could you call this endpoint though to get the latest topic by the staged user?

http://localhost:3000/topics/created-by/staged-username.json

And then assign it?

2 Likes

Heureka!

It is possible to use "assign other regex“ and then mention in text of /admin/email/handle_mail.

1 Like