Automated Signatures?

Sure, if you want to try out a pull request I think its ok, but I want the render jitter fixed there first.

Sam Saffron, co-founder

I love unicorns, unicorns are best. Come play with my unicorns.
Blog: http://samsaffron.com
Twitter: @samsaffron

We kind of have a policy to never have hover actions as they do not work at all on touchscreen devices, and the future is all touchscreens and tablets anyway. Better to not rely on it as a crutch, most hover behaviors are either a) annoying or b) too subtle to be useful. And it is nearly impossible to get right. Better to design for the coming world of touchscreens rather than the legacy mouse.

(And the GMail hover behaviors annoy me all the time.)

1 Like

while I agree with you, there is one thing that can change the lackness of ā€œhoverā€ for the mobile webā€¦ Samsung have this ā€œair viewā€ trick, which can potentially be used on new smartsomethings to have a similar contextual information as ā€œhoverā€ without the need for a click:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRzUzRD9Y8k

this is really awesome, and IĀ“m just pointing it here for the posterity if someday in the future it gets the traction need.

It is an ā€¦ interesting ā€¦ experiment, but I will be very surprised if finger hover gets traction on touch devices.

1 Like

Shouldnā€™t each individual community decide on whether or not they like the idea of signatures? I would say it was a good decision to make sigs a plugin instead of being a part of core software.

But just with most things, I advocate the option being available. As far as communities go in my mind, there is little wrong and a lot to do with preference.

Personally Iā€™m a fan of minimalist sigs so I would use the plugin. By minimalist I mean things like:

ā€œHe who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.ā€ - Ben Franklin

ā€œSpeak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.ā€ - Theodore Roosevelt

ā€œIn the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot. The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice --always has been.ā€ - Mark Twain

I enjoy using quotes to convey ideas and minimalist sigs are a fun way to do that given the right atmosphere.

I would enjoy reading these quotes on your user profile page . Reading them again and again and again on every single post you ever make for the rest of recorded history? Not so much.

1 Like

I suppose. Wouldnā€™t even that seem out of place? Some random quotes on someoneā€™s ā€œabout me.ā€ I guess you might say the same thing about a signature except that doing such a thing in a sig is relatively commonplace.

I get that but having used and dealt with other users sigs (provided theyā€™re not ridiculous) for years across forums, including ones Iā€™ve operated, I find that after the ā€˜newnessā€™ of someoneā€™s sig wears off you kind of just stop visually processing that data until it changes again. Thereā€™s this feeling of skating over it as you read.

Therefore if itā€™s not some flashy gif with embedded audio, if itā€™s a more reasonable happy medium, it almost seamlessly blends into the landscape. Perhaps that is just a ā€˜meā€™ thing.

But I do have to admit that a removal of the signature could certainly make the user profile a place of more prominence. I can say I am open to new things and would certainly be willing to see what no sigs looks like. To give it a proper long term trial run.

In fact we have Discourse up at a subdomain of ours and well before hand decided that no sigs is best because of how weā€™re choosing to use Discourse at that subdomain. Signatures would actually get in our way. Our main forum is currently comprised of Invision PB and as that is our main hub signatures have been allowed.

So what can I say? Iā€™ve been convinced to trial run IPB with signatures disabled. Perhaps the idea will grow on me beyond this conversation.

1 Like

By the way, the ā€œAbout Meā€ section of your profile shows up on the usercard.

ā† click me!

Yes, that is a very nice feature. :smile: Mine is barren at the moment though. Feels naked.

Iā€™m sure our community could come up with some interesting ways to put that into use aside from the obvious conveniences of the feature.

The only time I have actually experienced useful signatures was on the Paradox Plaza forums were some people have links in their sigs to AARs theyā€™ve written or mods they authored. Found some great stuff that way that was otherwise buried in thousands of other posts. Of course thereā€™s no reason this canā€™t be put in the user profile, it just wont be as discoverable.

Again, this is great content for About Me.

Or perhaps, hmm, a special User topic Ć  la Wikipediaā€™s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:USERNAME pages - that might work well as an expanded ā€˜About Meā€™.

That might be a cool bonus feature for users who have reached certain trust levels.

1 Like

Not trying anything, just updating youā€¦ Google Chrome now supports it on Galaxy Sx devides that have hardware to support it.

So if I go to a website that have, for example, CSS hover effects, I can get it using my finger over the screen. Itā€™s not 100% accurated as mouse, but it can fairly do the job.

I still waiting for the next android to see if Google will start requiring such hardware capabilityā€¦
Itā€™s something to keep an eye on.

2 Likes

In the vehicle forums Iā€™m on itā€™s more common to list what you have [in your sig.] so you donā€™t have to write it every time you post. This way when youā€™re asking a question, for example, about if something will work with your motorcycle or not people donā€™t have to ask, ā€œWhat year is it?ā€ or ā€œWhat model is it?ā€ as that info is in the signature line. For me, I also have a link in my sig. that goes the the photo albums I have of how to do something.

Iā€™ve used the sig. line to state what OS Iā€™m running and the versions of Excel Iā€™m programming in.

I guess Iā€™m just one of those anal-retentive geeks that make better use of the sig. than most ::shrug::

Iā€™m for having such data in a userā€™s card. Just allow admins to add such custom fields to the card. I was rather surprised that isnā€™t an option since there was no sig. option. :moneybag: :moneybag: <-- my two cents (these emoticons are extremelyā€¦oddā€¦still not used to them).

Do the vehicle or computer forums have custom fields to enter your motorcycle or OS version in the sigs? If not, are they really needed for the user card here on Discourse?

Some sites have fields where you can select vehicle model from a drop-down [in the siteā€™s equivalent user card; shows up under their avatar]. Others have the field and ask you to fill it in (free text). With those, yeah, a sig. wouldnā€™t be necessary, then itā€™s just getting people to fill it out, which we remind them to if they havenā€™t and when such info is needed. The sites also have location (where are you from?) and that is very handy because if someone needs help and you are close then you can offer to go over and turn a wrench or just observe and drink their beer :grinning:

So again, if no sig. line thatā€™s fine w/me as long as admins can create custom fields for the user card. For example, on our Discourse forum for a software product itā€™s good to know what version the person is using and particular products they have. Location, meh, not so much :smile:

This is on the cards.

Newb admin hereā€¦where/how? Version 0.9.9.9

Look at your preferences: https://meta.discourse.org/users/Air_Cooled_Nut/preferences

Put something in your ā€œAbout meā€ field and then come back here and check out your card.

Oooh, gotcha. I was thinking custom fields, not pre-existing:

1 Like

Could you share a screenshot of what it looks like on existing forums where you can fill out those custom fields? I donā€™t think Iā€™ve come across one.