Automatically bumping old topics on a category

Point taken on this issue - there are a few of the older topics being bumped and they get archived if they are no longer relevant (which I have done here, so the link may not work - but your point remains).

There is probably some admin we need to do on older, open topics, but the principle of bumping is still useful, but I agree that there might be some benefit of a limit on post age

1 Like

Iā€™m just deleting old stuff that gets bumped that is of no future value.

(Usually because it refers to old versions of Discourse which may not exist in the previously discussed form.)

3 Likes

In considering implementation of auto bumping, this has been my concern. We have a problem solving category where Iā€™d like to see unsolved topics bumped, except in cases where it is clear the OP has abandoned the topic. Typically we tag these with an ā€œincompleteā€ tag and after enough time has lapsed either delete them or move them out of the category and unlist them.

Any thoughts about adding an admin-configurable option to the auto-bumping settings to exclude topics based on tags?

1 Like

Is there any reason you donā€™t have ā€œauto-close {x} days after the last replyā€ set in this category? That would resolve the situation, since all topics would eventually close as stale, unless someone replies to them.

We do, but the goal is to solve, not just to close. If the auto-close timer is longer than the auto-bump frequency, this could conceivably exacerbate the problem for abandoned topics.

1. OP posts a problem.
  2. Helpful member replies with troubleshooting steps or a request for additional details.
  3. OP does not respond.
  4. (a) Now: Eventually topic closes.
  5. (b) With Auto-bump: Topic is bumped; goto 2.

So auto-bump {x} topics per day is enabledā€¦

ā€¦ and the topic will be auto-closed if there are no replies in {x} days, which is as clear an indication of abandonment as I can think of?

Maybe thereā€™s a tiny edge condition where the OP is only editing their post, not replying, but thatā€™s incredibly rare.

When a customer posts an issue heā€™s having, it can fall silent for two reasons.

• The Community replies and the OP never responds further
  • The Community does not reply.

Yes, auto-close could take care of the former. (We still have to deal with the impact to our target goal of a high percentage of ā€œsolvedā€ topics in the category.)

Iā€™d like to use auto-bump to help with the latter. If a topic is bumped, the Community would be reminded that this person still needs help.

But if I implement auto-bump, I would need to to exclude the topics where the OP has fallen silent, and thought perhaps a tag-exclusion would serve that need.

Iā€™m failing to see how I could auto-close topics without closing those where the Community needs to be reminded to answer, or auto-bump topics without bumping the OP-abandoned topics.

@tophee, I think you would understand what Iā€™m trying but apparently failing to explain, as it seemed to be the same problem you ran into. Can you help me here?

3 Likes

No, sorry, Iā€™m also lost. The problem I described seems quite different to me: I donā€™t want to close topics as long as itā€™s not easy for people with a similar issue to reply-as-linked topic and because of that I canā€™t use auro-bump because it will bump stuff that probably shouldnā€™t be bumped.

Oh, maybe you are saying that your requested feature (prevent auto-bump based on tags) would also solve my problem? Is that what you mean? - Well, technically yes, I could tag go ahead and tag all those old open topics to prevent them from being bumped, but no, I donā€™t think Iā€™d bother. Iā€™m fine with leaving them open for now. I guess my point was a more general one of making closed topics ā€œless closedā€ in a sense.

But back to your problem: as I understand it, you have two types of old topics,

1. abandoned: these are lost causes and should not be bumped and be closed.
  2. pending: these should be bumped and not be closed.

I think what Iā€™d do is simply turn off auto-close and instead use auto-bump as a follow-up mechanism that reminds staff to manually close the topic when they think the time is ripe.

Another way of putting this is: how do you know whether any given open topic is abandoned or pending? The only way of knowing is by looking at it (possibly repeatedly) and making a decision. Auto-bump is the mechanism that helps you do precisely that.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for trying to help me.

Yes, with the difference, I guess, being that weā€™re already tagging and it would be additional work for you.

I had not thought of bumping as a mechanism to remind moderators to take action. :thinking:

Maybe once I have it implemented I can either make it work as itā€™s designed, or do a better job of explaining my request.

The way I would love to see this feature work is bumping topics that have no replies, we have a photo critique category and posts can quickly fall off the map with so many posts, it would be great to have these brought back up to ensure everyone receives a reply.

3 Likes

it seems that the bumps are counted in the unread list. isnā€™t it better if the bumps arenā€™t count as a reply?

I understand the feature request you are making but feel the bump would be way too soft if we did not make the staff post, it would also make latest look pretty confusing

4 Likes

I really canā€™t understand this part. Can someone elaborate on it?

1 Like

Hopefully I will be corrected if Iā€™m wrong, but hereā€™s how I understand it worded a little differently.

The automatic bumping process will run as long as there is at least one topic that is:

• Open (has not been locked/archived)
  • Visible (has not been unlisted)
  • Not the automatically generated ā€œAboutā€ topic of a category
  • Not pinned
  • A topic that was bumped less that 24 hours ago (I think this is just checking that the category isnā€™t inactive? This is the only point Iā€™m not 100% clear on.)

I think this also implies that:

• A closed topic will not be bumped
  • An unlisted topic will not be bumped
  • An archived topic will not be bumped
  • The automatically generated ā€œAboutā€ topic for a category will not be bumped
  • A pinned topic will not be bumped
7 Likes

yes. this is also something I am mostly confused about it. :grinning:

According to your explanation, if we enable this option for a category, there is always something bumped less than 24 hours ago :thinking:

Is this 15 minutes configurable? I didnā€™t find it in options. for my community something like every 3 hours is a better option.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/ac0053f491e6604f943ecb7d10f400d7d1d80d4a/app/models/category.rb#L401

Above is the actual line of code. bumped_at is a date value and 1.day.ago is a date value. Itā€™s saying that the bump date of a topic needs to be less than (older than) a day ago (24 hours ago). So if the topic was bumped within the last 24 hours, it will not be bumped again.

5 Likes

Exactly - that restriction is there to prevent the same topic from being bumped repeatedly. Say you only have 2 topics that meet the rest of the criteria (open, visible, not pinned, etc.), and configured 4 topics to bump daily - the 2 topics will each be bumped once, then not bumped again for at least 24 hours. Without this setting the two topics would be bumped every 12 hours (in the case of 2 topics with a bump setting of 4).

7 Likes

Please remove the auto bump message if someone replies to the topic.

3 Likes

Hmmm ā€¦ very very mixed on that ā€¦ at best it should be an option, but I donā€™t want to flood us with options.

3 Likes