Configuring Auto-Bumping for Topics

In Discourse you can setup “auto-bumping” for topics. This is configured at the category level, as it may be more appropriate in some than others.

To edit a category setting visit it on your site and click the :wrench: button:

Then visit the “Settings” tab. Auto-bumping has two settings available:

• “Number of open topics to automatically bump daily” – this many topics will be bumped in that category each day
  • “Minimum days before bumping the same topic again” – a topic will not be bumped again for this many days

Using the settings above, your topics will be auto-bumped along the following criteria:

Auto-bumping topics is useful for a variety of use-cases; how have you used auto-bumping in your community?

7 Likes

Is it normal that a closed topic got bumped on my Discourse instance?

Hi!
What are your auto bump category settings?

Number of open topics to automatically bump daily: 0

Minimum days before bumping the same topic again: 1

Nope! :slight_smile:

Those settings in the category should not bump the topic. It’s possible a topic auto-timer was set to bump it, I think…

Let us know if it happens again. I’m not sure how to reproduce it. You might ask the other participants in the conversation if anyone bumped it.

1 Like

Just asking a learning question here…

But why would you want to auto bump topics? Not questioning the feature, but trying to learn some example use cases in which I might want to consider this option.

1 Like

Here some usage:

1 Like

You may want to set up auto-bump for your support forum, similar to how Meta does.

although I think the 4 year bump is a bit too long…

1 Like

Ha. :slight_smile: We have ours set on support like this:

category bump

The four-year wait isn’t a direct setting, as such, just a consequence of how many old and open topic we have still to tidy up. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOL oops :laughing:

2 Likes

I was looking for issues being answered by this topic (the reason I wrote it was to share how this feature worked). I ended with the call for data because I’m not sure how folks use it, either! :slight_smile:

I’ve used it for a couple of things that I’m not sure I could recommend for community, but is great for a single-user Discourse, for taking personal notes.

First, I use it to “turn the soil” for creative writing purposes. I’ll write something, leave it alone, work on something else, a little each day. For stories or complex technical working, I use auto-bumping to assist me in working on a few things asynchronously.

Second, I’ve used it temporarily to clear out a category. “Processing” I call it. The first case can lead to the second case, where now I’m sitting on a category of topics that need to be published or shared elsewhere. I can make a call, “it takes me 10 minutes to process a topic, so I’ll auto-bumping two a day”.

The second case often ends with the removal of the topics, so after they are all gone the auto-bumping (and category!) are removed as well.

Why don’t I recommend these? I’ve never seen it done with an active community. It might generate noise if everyone isn’t aware of the process.

I imagine for creative writers doing shared world building to greatly benefit from auto-bumping all the topics in a shared category… oh that we would all be so lucky to belong to such a group! :smiley:

This topic could be expanded to include scheduling a single bump for a topic, rather than only covering the category setting. In that case, it is a very useful tool to set a time everyone needs to pay attention to something again. Ex: a conversation that can’t move forward until a future event occurs, so a scheduled bump in two months is like a high-priority group reminder for the participants in that topic. We use this occasionally at Discourse. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you change the min days setting? Though I thought bumping again within 24h shouldn’t happen anyway.
The image shows two sections of a user interface with thumbs-up icons, indicating that content was 'automatically bumped' 8 hours ago and again 18 minutes ago. (Captioned by AI)

I did not :baymax_no:

I think that’s a case when Reset Bump Date has been used and it sent it back down into the stack and tricks it into thinking the topic is eligible for a bump again.

3 Likes

yea I reset the bump date on that one. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes