Autotomatic Dark Mode only changes colour palette, not theme

We previously used an addon to automatically switch themes based on the user’s OS dark mode setting. This was deprecated and is no longer developed, so we tried to switch to this feature.

It seems it only switches color schemes, not entire themes, so it won’t work for us. Any thoughts on supporting theme switching? Would love to designate one theme the default light, one the default dark, and have it just work™.

1 Like

Unfortunately theme switching can’t just work™.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how did the older addon work then? It forced a hard refresh?

I was just about to link it when I realized it was actually your addon!

2 Likes

Yes, it forced a hard refresh, see this line:

1 Like

I’m curious, what are the features that you absolutely need in a dark theme but not in a light theme?

2 Likes

Makes sense. We were fine with that. Now my users lost a feature they’ve had for years, and they’re pretty upset about it.

I would have simply continued using your plugin, but you literally say “Please don’t use it!” in the description, with an exclamation mark and everything. :slight_smile:

Re features we need, switching color schemes alone didn’t work for us, pages were ugly. I’m sure the answer is to fix our themes as per the OP in this thread, but we don’t have anyone to actually do that.

Is it still safe to use your plugin, exclamation mark notwithstanding?

1 Like

:slight_smile: well… I’m pretty sure I added the exclamation mark, so I’d say, no, it’s not safe. It might still work, but the last commit to that code was in 2020.

3 Likes

OK, thanks.

Anyway, just one admin here saying we found that functionality useful and now miss it.

2 Likes

How about marketplace?

2 Likes

The site isn’t exactly a money-making endeavor, just an ancient forum with an enduring community over the decades.

3 Likes