Babble - A Chat Plugin

:clap: :+1: :clap:
This is amazingly great in so many aspects. It changes a lot from the “me, me, me!” we can all witness sometimes in life. I give you a virtual hug, Angus: :hugs: (safer at the same time, these days :wink: )

5 Likes

Thanks so much for taking this plugin on! Much appreciated.

Unfortunately I’m still seeing the persistent notification bug on our installation. Happy to try and help debug.

4 Likes

Thanks guys,

Please file a full bug report here and I’ll address it soon: Bug Report. I know that may seem pedantic, but it really does help! If we break the cycle of using this topic as a catch-all place for all issues, things will get done more efficiently.

3 Likes

Trying to file a bug report. I’m trying to create an account on the Pavilion site with a social login (Google) but end up in a login loop. Do I need to create a local account to log into the site and file a bug report?

2 Likes

Did you successfully log into Pavilion and file a bug report about the persistent notification bug? If not, I can do it as I have credentials for the Pavilion site.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! I tried again and was able to create an account and file the report.

FWIW our persistent notification cleared, maybe due to a normal Discourse update and restart. We’re not really using chat heavily though, so it may just be lurking waiting to reappear.

1 Like

The persistent chat notf issue has been filed and addressed :slight_smile:

Please give me any further updates about it in that topic. Thanks guys.

Thanks, I can repro with google auth when going directly to a wizard without an account. I’ve made a bug report for this and will address tomorrow or wednesday.

In the meantime the way to get out of this is just to open a new window and go directly to thepavilion.io, instead of to thepavilion.io/w/bug-report.

4 Likes

This has a massive lack of any sort of feature and I was fine with that, working great, but messages hang constantly especially if they’re more than like two words. Is there a good alternative to this? I’m aware of the one that connects with third party chat programs and such but just looking for a chatbox sort of thing for certain user groups. This obviously isn’t worth it with the hang ups

1 Like

Hi thank for this wonderful plugin. I just notice some thing about this.

1. If send a message the web push appear. If the user click on that notification it will open the uncategorized chat topic. Same thing if mention user. Is that a feature or bug? :slight_smile:

2. Sometimes the chat it sticking and cannot scroll. I think it mostly happening when someone writing and avatar shows.

3. Is that possible to disable the page scroll when chat scroll active specially on mobile?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great plugin, could be a game changer.

Two suggestions?

• Make the chat window visible to unregistered users
  • Push new chat comments to the top of the window, so you don’t have to scroll to the bottom
3 Likes

Those seeing errors with responsiveness and longer messages not being sent are likely hitting API rate limits.

@angus comparing with posting/replying to a message, typing requests aren’t emitted at all or very seldom there. Could it be that they need to be throttled?

Also any idea which rate limits is this hitting?

2 Likes

Anton, did you give Angus this information in a Pavilion bug report?

He’s previously told us his ability to troubleshoot and fix goes up drastically if you funnel information through the Pavilion bug report process.

For what it’s worth, I’m also experiences issues with responsiveness and longer messages not being sent. Although I don’t have the kind of hard data that you do to back up what I’m seeing.

3 Likes

Thanks, I did now: Hitting rate limit on typing long messages - Bug Reports - Pavilion

5 Likes

I have Babble installed but no longer use it, so it’s disabled. I wouldn’t care whether it was installed or not, except that my site is now broken in either case.

If I uninstall it, it breaks the groups page at /g:

If I leave it installed but disabled, it breaks our custom digests. Admittedly this is being called by our discourse-506investor-digest-plugin, but it seems the NilClass is in babble/app/models/topic.rb.

From /logs:

Job exception: undefined method id’ for nil:NilClass`

/var/www/discourse/app/models/topic.rb:470:in `for_digest'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/babble/app/models/topic.rb:4:in `for_digest'
/var/www/discourse/app/models/post.rb:99:in `block in <class:Post>'
activerecord-6.0.3.5/lib/active_record/relation.rb:412:in `instance_exec'
activerecord-6.0.3.5/lib/active_record/relation.rb:412:in `block in _exec_scope'
activerecord-6.0.3.5/lib/active_record/relation.rb:784:in `_scoping'
activerecord-6.0.3.5/lib/active_record/relation.rb:412:in `_exec_scope'
activerecord-6.0.3.5/lib/active_record/scoping/named.rb:192:in `block in scope'
activerecord-6.0.3.5/lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:66:in `block in for_mailing_list'
activerecord-6.0.3.5/lib/active_record/relation.rb:407:in `block in scoping'
activerecord-6.0.3.5/lib/active_record/relation.rb:784:in `_scoping'
activerecord-6.0.3.5/lib/active_record/relation.rb:407:in `scoping'
activerecord-6.0.3.5/lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:66:in `for_mailing_list'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-506investor-digest-plugin/plugin.rb:89:in `get_favorite_posts'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-506investor-digest-plugin/plugin.rb:24:in `block in execute'
/var/www/discourse/lib/distributed_mutex.rb:33:in `block in synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/lib/distributed_mutex.rb:29:in `synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/lib/distributed_mutex.rb:29:in `synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/lib/distributed_mutex.rb:14:in `synchronize'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-506investor-digest-plugin/plugin.rb:12:in `execute'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:232:in `block (2 levels) in perform'
rails_multisite-2.5.0/lib/rails_multisite/connection_management.rb:76:in `with_connection'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:221:in `block in perform'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:217:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:217:in `perform'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:279:in `perform'
mini_scheduler-0.13.0/lib/mini_scheduler/manager.rb:93:in `process_queue'
mini_scheduler-0.13.0/lib/mini_scheduler/manager.rb:37:in `block (2 levels) in initialize'

Hello authur, can you convert any content chat become a topic in category (
Here is describe,

I’m experiencing the same issue here. Is the GitHub repository the right place to report this issue?

Anton has already reported the issue on Pavilion. And according to @angus, that’s the proper place to report bugs and eventually get them squished. More details about how to report bugs is here.

3 Likes

Hey guys, given the most recent breaking changes, and a few other related technical challenges posed for Babble in the current version of the Discourse codebase, unfortunately I’ve decided it’s not feasible to continue support babble at this stage. So this is being moved to #plugin:broken-plugin.

Believe me, I wish it were otherwise, and was hoping as such until the last few months of core Discourse changes which will require significant changes to Babble to get it working again. I’ve been actively looking for a more dedicated maintainer of the plugin, however there are two issues there. Chat is a difficult use case, and Babble is a complicated plugin. It requires an in-depth knowledge of Discourse itself, as well as Rails and Ember, and dedicated blocks of time to keep up with the changes in Discourse.

I would recommend you consider using a seperate dedicated chat instance alongside Discourse for your community. If you have any questions about setting that up or what to use, I’d be happy to give you some advice on that (for free). At Pavilion we use Mattermost alongside Discourse, which works well for us.

20 Likes

Thanks for all of the work you’ve put into it! Perhaps someone will eventually find a way to pin an external public chat channel from one of these services (mattermost, rocketchat, matrix) into their Discourse for a sort of “live chat”.

6 Likes

We are actively working on an official chat solution. The timeline is still fluid but I imagine we should have something to show in the next couple of months.

34 Likes