Back is not always taking me to the correct page

Okay, I don’t think this is just me any more. I’ve been having this odd experience on mobile and on a desktop for a few days now here at Meta.

Whenever I use the back button on my mobile (Android using Chrome) or if I use the u shortcut on a desktop, I’m occasionally taken to the wrong page (think 2 pages in my history instead of 1 page back in my history).

I don’t have easily reproducible steps other than, use it for a while and see what happens, but here is my typical workflow that causes it (after you use it for a while)

1. Navigate to Latest
  2. Click on a topic
  3. Read topic, press u
  4. You should be back to latest
  5. Click on the same topic you just read
  6. Press u
  7. You should be back to latest (but you might not be)
  8. Click on a different topic
  9. Perform steps 3-8 again until issue occurs.
7 Likes

The same thing is occasionally happening to me, too, except with my mouse’s back button rather than the u shortcut key.

1 Like

Awesome, then it isn’t just me :smile:

No, it’s not just you, and this isn’t the first time it’s came up:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/back-forward-back-forward-does-not-seem-to-work-right/18034

https://meta.discourse.org/t/back-button-after-posting-does-not-go-back/9829

2 Likes

I’ve also been experiencing the same thing, but you know me - I’ve just been assuming I must have done something wrong. Nice to know I’m not alone here after all.

Adding more voices that it has happened to me as well. Intermittent but enough to remember. Didn’t know if it was just me or if the Matrix is actually having a glitch, heh.

yeah … this still happens sometimes.

Phew - glad it isn’t just me… strange!

Getting this quite often when backing out of a topic and expecting to go to the latest page but goes to a previously read topic. Chrome on Android.

1 Like

Same on Windows Phone 8.1. It never was this bad before.

Does anyone have a repro?

I can repo this on my Win 8.1 Desktop using IE11 & Chrome. I don’t think the problem is contained to this, but the easiest way to repo this is to quickly hit the back button after entering a topic. You will go back to the topic list and after less than a second the url will be update from /latest to the url for topic you were just loaded even though you are on the latest view.

1 Like

Confirmed Firefox latest Windows7

Though I had to “force” it as this has never naturally happened to me

From latest click on topic
before the topic loads, click back
Address bar updates to topic URL although really on Latest
Click on a topic letting it load
Click back
Goes to URL that was in address bar

3 Likes

Since we have a repro perhaps you can look at this @eviltrout?

I’ve been seeing this fairly frequently for a week or two (Chrome, just a bit behind current, OSX) but not every time I go back a page. Just enough times a day to be really annoying. If I ever figure out how to get a reliable reproduction I’ll say more.

can reproduce using backspace on desktop chrome.

usually it’s when the site’s acting sluggish (not sure if on my end or remote, or if it makes a difference)

I’ve got a fix baking in master right now, thanks for the help reporting/reproducing it:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/762e60c0a6e8fe1468769b7209019ccf7f8f4808

9 Likes