Backwards compatibility with older browsers

Why do we need a forum when communication with users is available only in the form of messages via e-mail? This is a rhetorical question.

Discourse is a bad solution for small communities, unfortunately many IT-companies like Twitter, Tor, Figma and others choose Discourse and set the “tone”, in fact they advertise this product and novice administrators follow this ad and install Discourse in the same way, trusting choice of large companies.

Finally, we need to acknowledge the fact that with each update, Discourse is getting heavier, consumes a lot of resources on the server, and is demanding on the devices of your users.

Administrators of small communities who do not wear high-profile brands should prioritize and understand what is more important to them:

1. imitate large companies and use Discourse, because Discourse has connections, money, developers and it’s just fashionable.

2. create your own community for stable interaction with users, exchange of information, spending time to move to more flexible software, such as NodeBB or Flarum (this is from what is in open source)

As a developer, I’m interested to know how the NodeBB (version 3.0.0) will behave on your users devices, you don’t have to start installing and testing everything at once, just ask your users to visit the official developer forums of these platforms and let you know what works best.

This is unfortunate; at time of purchase the device was already four years into its lifecycle and both the iPad Mini 3 and iPad Mini 4 had been released.

The iPad Mini 2 is now ten years old. Although, it’s in a weird state since the 2 is only vintage, while the 3 is obsolete.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624 is probably the best bet for Apple? Looks like “obsolete” products do not receive security updates at all, but “vintage” do?

iOS version by device — iOS Ref tries to make it easy to read.

Indeed; iOS 12 seems to be receiving only the most severe security updates at this point.

3 Likes

That generalization was a really bold claim. And I’m claiming now it is not even remotely true. Novice ones are using what they first find. We a little bit more mature ones will use something that fullfills some basics, like easiness and steady enough code.

I don’t like support policy here, but I kind of understand resoning for that. But I will, and shall act really reactive way everytime when someone says I’m doing something just because of big companies do what they do :rofl: :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

I have maybe an odd thing to try. Maybe Tor or other on web browsers might work as a go between layer. Not sure if it would work. Kind of a proxy server idea but as an abstract layer maybe?

The Chrome flex deal with the screw would thay be needed to use a linux root to install a 3rdparty browser?

Another solution if you can get the chromebook to boot off a flashdrive they might be able to use a bootable updatable linux live environment. Without being required to install the OS.

I believe that you have to change a switch to allow untrusted software to be installed. On the very first chromebook I think there was a switch you could change, but it was inside, and that was a developer machine, so it may have been easier on that model than it is on newer ones.

It’s a security measure, so like all locks, it can be inconvenient for the owner as well as the potential thief.

2 Likes

Ah the CR-48, I remember it fondly. It’s a shame the hardware was so weak because the chassis was pretty excellent for the time.

They’re 13 years old now :older_man:

3 Likes

We’ve experienced something similar but have made it clear to the community the need for regular updates to keep their information safe and secure. I would adopt that approach and where you can point them in the direction of charities who can help with getting them online or providing hardware. AbilityNet might be able to help with the former.

4 Likes

There is a 3rd-party app called “Discourse Land” that still works on iOS12
However, it has very limited functionality.
Perhaps the author of that could find some time to add to it or find some collaborators.

1 Like

Be aware that since it’s a third-party, closed-source application, we don’t know its reliability and we have no control over what the author does with your data.
Please read carefully their Data safety page for more information.

4 Likes