Beginners Guide to Install Discourse for Development using Docker

I made a list of all the files and went through all of them. They all worked. Afterwards I ran the checkbashisms script on them and I discovered something very weird.

bin/docker/boot_dev x
possible bashism in bin/docker/boot_dev line 35 (should be VAR="${VAR}foo"):
what it is: ENV_ARGS+=" -e $2"

what would be sh complaint: ENV_ARGS="${ENV_ARGS} -e $2"

bin/docker/rails x
possible bashism in bin/docker/rails line 4 (alternative test command ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])):
if [[ $# = 1 ]] && [[ “$1” =~ “s” ]];
bin/docker/unicorn x
possible bashism in bin/docker/unicorn line 4 (alternative test command ([[ foo ]] should be [ foo ])):
if [[ $# = 1 ]] && [[ “$1” =~ “s” ]];

so why did the scripts still work even though they shouldnt?
nixos /bin/sh is actually bash. Probably its best to talk with the people at nixos what is going with this. They seem to be really strict about not having /bin/bash but whats the point if thats bash anyway? There seems to be an effort to get discourse to be a nix package aswell: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/59981 Its probably really nice for deployment and testing (if it works). Anway…all I wanted to do is write a discourse plugin … and now I am reading about this. :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah I am not against bin/sh but it needs to be ported and the scripts use bash-isms now.

Symlink bin/bash ?

I will do that. I think this was all a waste of time. (sorry for that :upside_down_face: ) This problem is clearly on the side of nixos. It has many benefits and I like using it, but this thing was just weird.

2 Likes

The Docker development flow now supports plugin symlinks, with two caveats:

1. The symlink must refer to its target with an absolute path:

- ln -s ../../discourse-plugin
    + ln -s ~/src/discourse-plugin

2. Whenever a new plugin symlink is created, the Docker container must be restarted:

d/shutdown_dev; d/boot_dev

Hopefully someone else will also find this useful!

(Also updated the topic wiki)

3 Likes

This is awesome, thanks heaps for the new feature, real happy to have parity with this setup!

2 Likes

Trying to get to the rails console to run SiteSetting.enable_sso = false on a Mac Docker dev install. Where do I need to be to do that?

d/rails c

from the root directory of discourse.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, Sam.

For others seeing this, you have to follow the above exactly. e.g. you can’t use rails c from the the d directory.

From within the d directory you’d need to run ./rails c, rails c would give you whatever rails was in your path, not the one in d.