Best way for staff to send notifications about posts

I’m an admin on an internal Discourse site, and I have an important post I want to notify all users about.

Is there any way to get Discourse to send a notification email to all users, or a group of users? The “Invite” button only lets you send a notification to one person at a time.

Lots of existing topics on this here, a quick search should bring them up.

In short, you have 3 options I can think of off the top of my head (I’d recommend #3):

1. Mention all your users by username in the post. Not ideal, looks messy, and may require site setting changes based on the number of users you have.
  2. Mention @trust_level_0 which will notify users TL0 and above (all users). May require a site setting change to increase max user notified per group mention.
  3. Create a category which all users watch the first post of. You can use How do I set category tracking level defaults historically to change the user preference for all users to watch the first post of your new category.
7 Likes

And you could pin it globally so that anyone who visited the site would see it.

6 Likes

Hmm. The @trust_level_0 option is actually simpler in my case.

None seems like a really good approach though… Staff should be able to notify all but it seems like a bad idea to allow anyone to notify all.

Pinning makes sense for urgent issues such as security or site maintenance notices. In my case I want to be a little more subtle.

Also the notification aspect is important; I have a lot of infrequent visitors (< once a month) and I want to notify them.

1 Like

By default no one can mention @trust_level_0. You can restrict the TL0 so that only staff can mention it when you enable mentions.

2 Likes