Better date selector for birthday

We can do better than this dual action drop-down:

A standard calendar drop-down should do the trick here, no? I don’t know why we refrain from asking for birth year, but I guess it’s often unnecessary.

2 Likes

I imagine that some forums might want year, others not.

Perhaps make the year optional in /settings?

DOB_Format:

possibilities
DD/MMM/YYYY
DD/MMM
MMM/DD/YYYY
MMM/DD

I’m not a fan of clicking through calendars.

3 Likes

We simply don’t need the year of birth right now and IMHO it’s a lot easier to select month and day from dropdowns instead of selecting your birthdate in a calendar. Finding the right year requires a lot more clicks and doesn’t provided any added value.

6 Likes

It would be very useful to have year collected in our Forum as it is important for us to know what our age spread is.

This is vital for us as it allows us to audit how inclusive of both the younger and older age groups in our professional area (both tend to be under-represented) we are. However, it is pretty tricky to get right in a conventional user_field.

I do note that the Custom Wizard Plugin allows this sort of input, but I’m greedy and would like to take advantage of the other Cakeday Plugin features!

I think the Cakeday data is publicly viewable in the posts json, which may make adding a full date of birth more revealing than you’d want it to be?

That is a good point; it wouldn’t be great to advertise the full birthdate publicly. Is a bit iffy airing the day and month really.

I haven’t played with it for ages so aren’t familiar with the config (and the documentation above is a tad scanty). Can you hide the birthday status (and thus the data) from anon?

I’m a bit dull know but I have to remind all of you that full birthday is deep in GDPR-regulations. Sure, you can build up such age reminder but then you must give to admin an option not use year.

Picking from a calendar date is… something :wink: Dropdowns or even plain old fashion typing is much easier.