"Block" renamed to "Silence"

We’ve heard feedback over the years that “block”, the staff tool to prevent users from posting on the site was unclear. Without knowing what “block” meant in a Discourse sense, one could just as easily infer that it mean block the user from using the site (which is a suspension).

As such, we’ve renamed block to “silence” in Rename "Blocked" to "Silenced" · discourse/discourse@1f14350 · GitHub

Over the next few days we’ll be working our way through Meta to update documentation and other discussions that refer to “blocking”.

18 Likes

@jomaxro
Was it just a “rename” or a change in functionality has been done?

Just a rename. There should be no change in functionality. If there is, please report it as a bug

1 Like

That sounds like a good time! Good luck with that. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the announce!

Check the setting, example key: system_messages.user_automatically_silenced.text_body_template at server.en.yml (transifex).

Says:

(…)
This threshold can be changed via the block_new_user site settings.

That setting will be renamed too?
Something like silence_new_user ? :thinking:

Site settings have all been changed. I’ll double check the translation files, they should have all been updated as well.

Block was a rare state to be in and only recently was an explicit button added for mods to put users in it. So I don’t expect much pain from the rename.

Agree @jomaxro, I mean if “block_new_user” does not exist anymore, need to be renamed too :wink:

2 Likes

Fixed:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/4dc29e5f9eb47fba77a28567aa0fb12fd331bb83#diff-aeb8651199334c1cb831e884ff85773a

7 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Specifically, what does “Silence” do?