"Block" renamed to "Silence"

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #1

We’ve heard feedback over the years that “block”, the staff tool to prevent users from posting on the site was unclear. Without knowing what “block” meant in a Discourse sense, one could just as easily infer that it mean block the user from using the site (which is a suspension).

As such, we’ve renamed block to “silence” in Rename “Blocked” to “Silenced” · discourse/discourse@1f14350 · GitHub

Over the next few days we’ll be working our way through Meta to update documentation and other discussions that refer to “blocking”.

What's the difference between Suspended and Silenced users?
Translation for "unsilence user" :es:

@jomaxro
Was it just a “rename” or a change in functionality has been done?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #3

Just a rename. There should be no change in functionality. If there is, please report it as a #bug

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

That sounds like a good time! Good luck with that. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the announce!

Check the setting, example key: system_messages.user_automatically_silenced.text_body_template at server.en.yml (transifex).

Says:

(…)
This threshold can be changed via the block_new_user site settings.

That setting will be renamed too?
Something like silence_new_user ? :thinking:

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #6

Site settings have all been changed. I’ll double check the translation files, they should have all been updated as well.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Block was a rare state to be in and only recently was an explicit button added for mods to put users in it. So I don’t expect much pain from the rename.

Agree @jomaxro, I mean if “block_new_user” does not exist anymore, need to be renamed too :wink:

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #9

Fixed: