Blocking emojis won't work

To avoid some problems, I blocked the middle finger emoji. Then, I went to my test account which does not have admin or moderator and is TL2. I used the emoji in a PM to my normal account, and it didn’t block the emoji. Which is a problem.

1 Like

There is a difference between blocking a unicode code point (character) and the spelled-out version :fu:

Not entirely sure which code paths would work here cc @sam but probably will come up again.

4 Likes

Yes I tried blocking both :fu: and the emoji version.

My sock puppet was able to post both times either as emoji codepoint or emoji.

There is some sort of bug here.

@techAPJ can you have a quick look at this.

8 Likes

bump +1 for this.

Running (now) 2 separate Discourse instances and would like to be able to block the FU emoji on both.

4 Likes

We have it on our list, we should get to it in the next 2-4 weeks.

5 Likes

Blocking emoji now works, via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/99c6db21e632fd8731ff97f4122cc89a7c0e0257

Both :fu: and the unicode emoji can be blocked.

9 Likes

Updated the sites last night and wasn’t able to get this to work. At first, I thought it was maybe because regex for watched words wasn’t enabled, but ticking that didn’t help either.

The word is :fu : (without the space … had to add that to bypass meta censor) and is under Censored Words. I also tried under Required Approval, and that didn’t work either.

Do I need to do anything else to get this to work?

Current Version: v2.3.0.beta2 +115

1 Like

I implemented the “block emoji” feature which performs the check server side and blocks the word from being posted. I’ll look into implementing the same for Censor, Require Approval & Flag as well.

8 Likes