Blog Post Styling

Yeah I’m pretty sure I have added the component to my main theme and settle blog already

2 Likes

Does it work correctly if you set the slug to blog? When I dropped the /116 off the URL, it does take me to blog/116.

Does it work if you disable this theme component? You have 2 theme components where neither one is working. :thinking:

Hi Taylor!

Thank you for this lovely component! I love it.

I was just wondering if the tag component has been added yet?

Cheers

4 Likes

Hey! It has not, but I will bump it up in my priorities. I’ll make sure it gets added in the next couple weeks. I may even have a little time tomorrow next week :crossed_fingers:

EDIT: I have tags working now on my local computer, but have found a few unrelated things I’d like to address before pushing the changes. Thanks for your patience :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You likely already found out a long ago, but it is extremely likely this one: Topic List Thumbnails Theme Component

1 Like

Looking for the same here. We post from our blog in all categories and we can’t allow a category in order to display posts with blog style.

That theme-component looks very solid and I hope that TAG feature could be finished soon :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Update!

I just pushed a commit that adds Tag support and improves a few styling related things :tada: Please let me know if you notice any issues after updating the component.

Small note - tags you use for blog posts must be visible to all users (not hidden through tag groups). You can alway hide the tag with CSS if absolutely necessary.

cc @Drew-ART @sofi.pocketful @matenauta

9 Likes

Nice!

On updating on the hosted instance with the default theme the following errors are popping up:

Error: Undefined variable: "$blog-tag". on line 80 of mobile.scss >> $values: $blog_tag; -----------^
Error: Undefined variable: "$blog-tag". on line 77 of desktop.scss >> $values: $blog_tag; ---------^

Doesn’t seem to have broken previous functionality though

Edit add: This went away after I added a tag, now the blog post styling is working but the image is not appearing, I earlier thought this was an issue with private tag groups, but doesn’t seem to be the case.

2 Likes

This is an odd bug in core we’ve been meaning to look into. For some reason there seems to an issue where it’s expecting a - instead of an _ in the variable name. The workaround at the moment is to make an adjustment to the theme settings as you figured out.

Thanks for reporting this! There was a flaw in the logic that was preventing the tags from being fully evaluated. It should be fixed if you update again.

4 Likes

Wow, that’s a very cool toy i’m going to spend today playing with. Thank you for your great work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I spotted a bug where, if I use either the category or tag based system,
If within a <div align="center"></div> tag there are uploaded images (not hotlinks, hotlinks work) then they are rendered in the preview but not after posting, sometimes they appear for a couple of seconds after posting but disappear soon after

2 Likes

That’s an interesting edge case! It should be fixed with:

Let me know if you happen to notice any issues after updating.

4 Likes

Works, thanks a ton! Wishing you a great time!

3 Likes

When I enable at “no image”… I lost 1 image in my post.

1 Like

It looks like this Theme Component isn’t being updated much these days, and the to-do list seems to perhaps include my problem (DiscoToC), but I thought I’d mention it anyway in the hopes it will inspire some updates here. :grin:

It appears that Blog Post Styling and DiscoTOC are fundamentally incompatible, at least with the site width I have. The ToC overlaps the text and I haven’t found a clear way to address this with CSS alone (though I am far from a CSS expert!).

I tried using the Default theme and removing my CSS customizations and it still happens. But as soon as I disable Blog Post Styling, it is resolved and the ToC appears in the right place. I would really love to be able to use both together though.

I have disabled DiscoToC for now, but you can see my site (with customized theme) here if that is helpful:

If it is helpful for me to re-enable DiscoToC so you can see this happening live, let me know.

2 Likes

@oshyan what a lovely site! I especially like your Categories drop-down!

2 Likes

This is actively on my list to try to get working. I just finished some fixes and updates to another component, so I’ll see what I can do with this one as soon as possible. There’s lots on my plate right now, so it might be a little bit. If for some reason you haven’t heard anything in a month, please poke me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

:point_right: poke poke :grin: My writing is frequently long-form and I make perhaps more use of headers than the average person. But I also really like the Blog Post Styling! Hope they can be made to coexist in peace. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

How can I reduce the text size? I don’t want to use it as 1.25em. I tried to reduce it to 1em with CSS tricks, but it didn’t work.

@tshenry I noticed a few bugs in the blog post styling (also present in the theme preview):

1. Comment backgrounds are all messed up, and have a weird grey-ish background:

2. Zooming in on the page, the blog post starts to overtake the sidebar:

3. User profile pictures and badges seem far too close to their title, date posted, etc. (see above image)