Bootstrap mode - effects?

I’m a little unclear as to what I should be seeing with Bootstrap Mode active.
(Self-hosted, 3.4.0.beta1-dev.)

I’ve never touched the setting, and we’re under the default user threshold of 50, so based on what I’ve read here I’d expect to see:

• new users assigned TL1
  • new users digest frequency set to 1 Day
  • admin users see some kind of banner informing of Bootstrap Mode
  • Getting Started button in header

As an admin, I’m seeing:

• :x: new users assigned TL0
  • :x: new users digest frequency set to 1 Week
  • :x: never any banner about Bootstrap Mode
  • :white_check_mark: Getting Started button in header

Wondering what I’m missing here… Could some other settings be overriding Bootstrap Mode?

1 Like

Maybe you have changed these settings. Even in bootstap mode you can change them. It only sets a different default for those settings.

I think the banners were removed

4 Likes

Ah, thanks for clarifying those details. Things make sense now. I did change the new user TL and the summary settings at some point – just thought bootstrap was some kind of background override.

(I searched, but couldn’t find official documentation for bootstrap mode. Seems it’s usually described in posts here as “it gives the first 50 users TL1 and daily digests” without explaining the mechanism. This leads to some misunderstandings.)

2 Likes

Did you read the admin getting started guide, seeded with your new site? There is some explanation in there.

Maybe a documentation topic is indeed a good idea. We could link to it from the site setting.

I did, thanks – the Getting Started admin guide likewise mentions the effects of Bootstrap mode, but not the mechanism. This left room for me to assume that Bootstrap mode was a background rule overriding admin settings, not a direct temporary change to admin settings. So as I explored these things independently, it didn’t seem to add up.

1 Like

I see a Bootstrap Mode wiki doc just appeared! :partying_face:

2 Likes