Bottom line: Is Discourse now $12/month minimum on DigitalOcean? šŸ˜” [Not yet! šŸ™‚]

This is my 5th time setting up Discourse, and in each of the previous 4 attempts, Iā€™ve been able to use the $6/month Droplet to get the job done.

But now DO says life with Discourse starts at the $12/month price point.

In 2019, this was $5/month. Then it went up to $6. Now itā€™s $12? Thatā€™s more than double. Pretty big gut punch and a massive deterrent for anyone who wants to start forums that are unproven (ie, not moving from other forums that already have a large audience).

This seems to be the bottom line now, but I want to hear from you guys: Is this the new reality for running Discourse?

4 Likes

Also, no longer being able to use Mailgun is a concomitant gut-punch.

I pay less than $3/month for transactional emails on my legacy Mailgun accounts, but now their ā€œget one foot in the door priceā€ is $35 per month! Totally untenable for something as basic as transactional emails.

So to me, the DigitalOcean price increase isnā€™t happening in a vacuumā€”itā€™s accompanied by other stressors like the crazy changes in transactional email costs.

Whatā€™s your preferred, low-cost stack for running Discourse now?

Could you link to where Digital Ocean says that?

DO doesnā€™t say this explicitly. If you set up a new Droplet and choose Discourse as your pre-installed software, every price option under the $12 price point is grayed out. I suspect this is because Discourseā€™s memory requirements are bumping right up against the 1GB edge, so DO simply forces people into 2GB options so they wonā€™t experience problems.

2 Likes

I think you can still use the flex plan, but it is hidden Mailgun is $1/month per 1,000 emails sent (and first 1,000 are free) - #52 by uffehe

2 Likes

I knew something like that was going on. I think theyā€™re trying to push low-volume customers over to Mailjet instead.

If you pick an OS without an image, it will show the $4 and $6 options.

(I set up Discourse on the free Oracle Cloud service, which works but is really slow. If it were still just a hobby for me, I might have stuck with that, but DOā€™s service is noticeably better.)

1 Like

This is precisely what I did, but the installation is now failing, and I think it might be due to memory issues. Iā€™ve posted the detailed logs here, but I have not received any insightful responses yet.

My VPS costs (in my case on Scaleway) have definitely inflated considerably since 2017 when I first started running Discourse sites.

I run several instances, of which a couple are a test and development instance only. Iā€™m much more careful about turning these off now when Iā€™m not using them these days!

They actually gives a reason if you hover it. Though, itā€™s disk-size related. :thinking:

Iā€™m using Hetzner, and their price is stable (and fairly good)

5 Likes

Donā€™t do that. You should follow the standard install instructions and install it yourself. My https://dashboard.literatecomputing.com/ will create the droplet and do the install for you, as well as configure mailgun. If you join the free trial group and donā€™t need my help, you can use it for free.

That said, I recommend the 2GB droplet for anyone who can afford it.

Yes, but if you try hard you can find a way to downgrade to https://help.mailgun.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048661093-How-does-PAYG-billing-work-. See also https://help.mailgun.com/hc/en-us/articles/203068914-What-Are-the-Differences-Between-the-Free-and-Flex-Plans-. They donā€™t make it easy to figure out how to do that, though.

6 Likes

With mailgun setup a new account with them recently, when the first $35 attempted charge was denied they temporarily disabled account and requested opening a support ticket before they tried another charge, with some verification questions for new account:

• What types of emails will you be sending?
  • Where do you source your database of email addresses?
  • Are all of your email addresses double-opt in?
  • What is your expected monthly volume of messages?

They also offered option for the flex/free plan, set account to that this is a good deal basically completely free unless goes past 1,000 e-mails a month.

With digital ocean 1GB server seems sufficient but sites can be slow to load with that so 2GB/ $12 a month is probably better, but technically minimum cost is still only $6 a month not $12.

1 Like

Funny thing. Two weeks ago I tried (and succeeded) to setup a discourse forum for some old friendsā€¦ and faced the exact same issues.

Digital Ocean didnā€™t allowed me to chose the lower plans as it was greyed out. Accepted it and went with the 12$ plan, although this was quiet a bit over budget for a little ā€žplaygroundā€œ.
Then setup everything with Mailgun. Added credit card and was automatically switched to foundation trial - which will lead to 35$ afterwards, although I will probably just send 100mails per month.
I found information about their flex plan and the pay-as-you-go but no option to change it myself. Had to contact the service and they now changed it to flex plan for me.

So, there are a few things which didnā€˜t went as expected - overall leaving to the impression that you will be charged more if youā€™re not paying enough with your attention.
Somewhat obvious, but the instructions and information I gathered before through various tutorial showed a different picture (totally easy and cheap, just use the smallest plan, free option, etc.).

3 Likes

Thatā€™s annoying. I may investigate some other service to recommend to my install customers.

1 Like

Interesting theory, is mail jet a good platform for use with discourse or have you tried any other mail sender/receiver systems with this?

For mailgun the flex/free plan seems to only work with sending mail, to process incoming mail looks like the $35 a month minimum is required for that.

For incoming mail for Discourse, Configure direct-delivery incoming email for self-hosted sites is free and pretty easy.

I use Mailjet for Discourse mail and it seems to work OK. Iā€™ve not yet hit the 6000 (?) emails per month limit where you have to pay anything so that helps too.

2 Likes

Oh good to know, thanks for that reference.

This is a helpful feature setup automatically with discourse hosting, for both replying by e-mail and starting new topics.

Will try to see if I can make that work with non-hosted site. Sent e-mail to the team about configuring address for that with the discourse mail servers havenā€™t heard back from them yet probably because it is the weekend.

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discourse + DigitalOcean + Mailjet setup

I did it last month on Infomaniak Public Cloud (~7ā‚¬/month for 1 CPU, 2GB Ram, 20 GB Disk) + Brevo transactional emails (300 free/month)