Bulk Invitations need a confirmation dialog

This is probably not a bug as such, but a very troublesome feature. I was trying to Bulk Invite From File, and got a nasty shock when I uploaded the file and it immediately sent the email to 30 people. I guess I assumed there would be a step where it shows that the file uploaded and then offered a button to actually do the send. So I uploaded the file–intending just to familiarize myself with the process–and embarrassed myself by sending invitations before a key piece was ready. I had to send a manual followup explaining the glitch.

I really think that Bulk Invite button needs a confirmation or other speed bump, because the consequences are fairly drastic.

3 Likes

I can see how this would be embarrassing. You are right, not a bug (but you got throttled unexpectedly).

Sure @techapj when you get back, can you add a dialog that shows the count, e.g.

You’re about to email invites to {n} people.

Go ahead cancel

2 Likes

I think that will be much better! Thanks.

OK Adding a #pr-welcome on this, it would be an improvement in quality of life and easily can be added by the community.

4 Likes

Hi,
I have created PR for the same. But i had to make some modifications to the confirmation popup.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/6761

Currently, CSV is processed fully in back-end so it will need some front-end processing to get number of rows in file. That’s why I have just added a generic popup Are you sure? instead. I think it should be fine since our purpose is more of giving a confirmation dialog to user before proceeding.

If we want to check after file is uploaded and before invites are not sent, it will require a major cleanup on front-end and back-end. Front-end uses a mix-in for upload which is used at multiple places so modifying it can create a big issue. Back-end is also coupled to do processing of CSV and sending invites in one go.

1 Like

I understand that it’s significantly more work to show the row count here, but I’m also not happy with the generic “Are you sure?” message. I’d suggest something like this instead:

You’re about to email invites to everyone in the uploaded file.

Go ahead cancel

5 Likes

This is already fixed thus can be closed.

It was fixed here: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/6761

Thanks

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 42 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.