Bump topics for whispers on staff topic lists

Showing/bumping topics when whispers happen in them would be pretty helpful for keeping track of whispered conversations as opposed to just using notifications.

2 Likes

This is kind of the opposite of what the feature is intended for.

5 Likes

I thought they were intended for private staff discussions within public topics? If youā€™re not pinged atm you donā€™t know the discussion is even happening unless you get lucky and click on the topic.

Yes, unfortunately the technical side of making topics ā€œbumpā€ up the list for a subset of users is pretty tricky. At the moment we only have one record of ā€˜bumped timestampā€™ per topic, and so it must be the same for all users. It might happen eventually, but for now whispers do not make a topic bump up the ā€˜latestā€™ list.

However, they will make a topic appear ā€œunreadā€ for staff, if they are tracking the topic. And they will trigger notifications/emails as normal.

5 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ve just made it a habit to @ mention my fellow moderators/staff when I want their attention to a whispered post. Bumping the topic for moderators/staff would be great.

Unread seems sufficient, so I am unclear why anything else is necessary.

1 Like

I wrote a plugin to achieve this and weā€™re currently testing it out. We believe it will suit our workflow:

https://github.com/paviliondev/discourse-bump-whispers

1 Like